Uneven KME Jaws

Good evening everyone, this is my first post!

This evening I was sharpening my Spydiechef with my KME and noticed my angle was too low at the heel of the blade, but fine everywhere else. Then when I flipped it, my angle was too low at the top but fine on the heel. After some adjustments and inspection I noticed the jaws of my KME slightly slope downwards to the right from the base
aYrQp6S

It’s hard to spot in the pictures. Is there anything I can do to correct it? Thank you!!

Welcome to BF BohnsBlades. And Thx to Old Biker for posting pic of BohnsBlades KME jaws.
How did you assess angle difference?
As your Spydiechef is full flat grind, we need to see it mounted please.
Have you looked at Ron teaching how to mount blades in jaws over at KME's utube space. It is worth a few minutes.
If you find jaws are not square when your Spydiechef is solidly mounted using Ron's technique, KME will make it right, no doubt. Also, If you are so inclined you can disassemble jaws, again follow KME's tube on swapping out small knife jaws, and give parts an inspection.
My opinion of KME customer service comes from contacting them several times for help. Stellar service every time.
BTW, we did drop ours, empty, from table height once, and found the tool no worse for wear. It now lives in a quieter corner...

Looks like the two bumps on the jaws are not correctly snapping into place when rotating the jaws.
Use a drop of oil and make sure that you use the right tension, light enough to rotate the jaws without using force but tight enough to keep them firm in place.

I actually just noticed this on my KME model as well. I wonder if it is something that is just endemic to the design. Either way it does explain some of the thicker bevels created at the tip or heel of the blade. I suppose a change in the position of the knife in the jaws would do it but certainly not ideal. I.e unclamping the blade and doing the length of the edge in two different clamped positions to negate the effect of the slant. I might reach out to the KME folks as well and see if there is a remedy that they have available.

Knife Guy and Knife Krazy both have a wealth of info in their vids on utube, just about everything one would want to/need to know is there.
Knife Guy works for KME and as someone else mentioned Ron has some vids as well.

Back