1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Unfinished knife blanks

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by Psybull, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Psybull

Psybull

Dec 31, 2015
    I see a seller on the big auction site has 4 1st gen m390 4.1 blanks for sale and another person on the FB fanpage has an edc4 blank as well. All of them are ground w/out a sharpened edge or factory markings,handles or hardware. These [I am guessing here] were left over pieces not finished for whatever reason from the shop prior to the Idaho move. Anybody know what the story is on these and if there are other types as well? Just curious-

2. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I do know at one point Guy had lost a box of blanks in shipping and they turned up on the bay. I dont remember what models they were

3. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Were those all 5s, or could some have been 4.1s?

4. scout1sg

scout1sg

Nov 9, 2009
    That's interesting, the seller probably works for the postal service (lol)

5. Psybull

Psybull

Dec 31, 2015
    The seller says that these blanks were sent to him to test some then new coatings or finishes.
    I do remember Guy had said he gave a lot of his early blades away in the very beginning so maybe these are some of them.

6. Hale Storm

Hale Storm Kydex Whisperer Gold Member

Sep 18, 2013
    I didn't see them on the big auction site. Are they gone already or my search terms are wrong.

7. Psybull

Psybull

Dec 31, 2015
    I see they were pulled from the auction site, none sold on there anyways.
    They were under Survive m390 if you did a search.

8. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    The unfinished EDC4 blank has come to me to turn into a completed knife. The present owner came by it by legitimate means, and has discussed it with Guy, as I understand it, but I do not know much about it. It is pretty raw. Rough waterjet edges (possibly laser cut?). Post-heat treat bronze color to it. I verified it has been heat treated. The current owner has asked me to put handles on it.

Even more unique still is that the scale blanks I'll use (somehow obtained by the owner of the knife blank) comes from the tree at the end of the movie Shawshank Redemption. This just so happens to be the greatest movie ever made, so I can't tell you how excited I am to have this project.

This, by ANY definition, will be a true Unicorn when its all said an done.

I'll post pictures as I progress, I mean, only if you guys want me to....

It will take me a number of months to do this because my shop time is almost nil these days. Should be fun all the same...

20171006_184909.jpg

9. Psybull

Psybull

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks for putting that picture up Tony, will be an awesome blade when it is done.
    So is that wood spalted oak?

10. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    ^^^ yes, it's spalted oak. It's been stabilized so it looks awful yet.

grogimus likes this.
  11. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Just going off what you're saying, this doesn't seem right to me. If the seller got them to test out, is it right to be selling them for profit? I don't doubt you, Psybull, I just question the motivation of the seller. Then again, I never saw the original sale post.

Too bad, I know how you love your m390!

12. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Truly a unicorn! And YES, a project like this calls for regular updates with gratuitous pics and maybe even it's own thread. How did your client get wood from the Shawshank Redemption tree?!? How is something like that verified?

13. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Not sure how he got them but they come with a certificate of authenticity. I'll start a thread when I get further along.

14. LukeTheSpook

LukeTheSpook

Jan 2, 2015
    I remember a while back the shawshank tree wood was for sale online. I guess they were selling it right after it was cut.

TRfromMT and Silver Needle like this.
  15. Fatboy1994

Fatboy1994 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2015
    I see them and asked if they had gone thru heat treat.

New message from: mbstechnologies (18[​IMG])

Yes, they were heat treated before I received them. Survive! Knives was operating out of Gettysburg, PA at the time, so I am not sure who did their heat treatment or to what hardness. They had to be heat treated before I coated them because the heat treatment temps would burn off any coating. I'm not affiliated with Survive! Knives, so unfortunately, I don't have any more info on their treatment methods.

Early Survive! Knives GSO 4.1 M390 Factory Blank No Logo Ready to Customize

[​IMG]
    Price: $225.00
    Buy it now
    Watchers: 8
    Quantity Remaining: 4
    Free Shipping
    Buy it now

Get to know the seller mbstechnologies

Silver Needle likes this.
  16. Fatboy1994

Fatboy1994 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2015
    oops, are clickable links allowed in posts?

17. Goose 7279

Goose 7279

Jul 22, 2015
    Man that is expensive for a blank with no warranty or not being anywhere near finished product.

18. SURVIVE! Ellie

SURVIVE! Ellie

Apr 21, 2014
    I read this paragraph to Guy the other night and now he is super jealous. Please be sure to keep us updated with the progress!

TRfromMT likes this.
  19. SURVIVE! Ellie

SURVIVE! Ellie

Apr 21, 2014
    The blades from the auction were not actually M390, so don't worry about missing out on that.

20. tloskot

tloskot

Nov 30, 2015
    One actually did sell before they were pulled.