UNK as a hunting knife...deer pics

Gossman Knives

Edged Toolmaker
I was able to tag a doe yesterday during early muzzleloader. I used the UNK with a 3" blade to field dress the deer. The blade shape excelled at this task because of the downward blade design along with the small amount of belly. You are able to turn the edge up and open the deer up without risk of cutting the internal organs.
It also did equally as well for skinning. The spine dipping down very much like my semi skinner hunter is great for indexing your forefinger for downward pressure. The difference is in the amount of point pressure you get with the sheepsfoot blade shape. It is easier on the finger allowing much less fatigue. The CPM S35VN held it's edge nicely even cutting against bone.
Scott

Attachments

• Picture 499.jpg
    Picture 499.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 126
  • Picture 504.jpg
    Picture 504.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Picture 505.jpg
    Picture 505.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Scott congratulations on your harvest.Looks like some fresh venison for the Gossman house. Next deer I want you to totaly process with your mother tusker!!!

Mike

Congrats on those venison steaks Scott! Gonna need a hot bowl of venison stew comin' up.

Good looking doe. Seemed like a god bit of fat on that doe. She has been eating good. One of the most satisfying things I do is put protein on the table.

Thanks guys. Shot this spike this morning. Nine inch spikes. I made a 160 yard shot off my Harris bi pod.
Scott

Picture510.jpg

Picture511.jpg

Man, I don't know what has better odds, a deer on your hunting grounds or a Twinkie in a fat kid's lunch box! They're both gonna eaten.

Two in one week, nice job brother. I figured the UNK would do well as a deer processor. Fernando was giving the design accolades for just that chore with the finger control and everything.

A skilled knifemaker and a skilled hunter. Outstanding!

Congrats again Scott!! I am waiting to get out and do some hunting.Looking like it will be late archery season before my knee will hold up to being in the woods.

Mike

Man, I don't know what has better odds, a deer on your hunting grounds or a Twinkie in a fat kid's lunch box! They're both gonna eaten.

Two in one week, nice job brother. I figured the UNK would do well as a deer processor. Fernando was giving the design accolades for just that chore with the finger control and everything.

A skilled knifemaker and a skilled hunter. Outstanding!

I used the UNK again on this buck. Absolutely amazing the control you have with this design. I gutted, skinned and butchered this deer.
We pulled the plug to early today. We didn't hunt the evening but should have. Another buddy we hunt with sometimes called me and left a message, on the one part of the farm we were thinking of going this evening, he saw 16 deer, two of them decent bucks but were out of range for him.
Heal that knee up quick Mike so you can get out there.
Scott

You're making out like a bandit, brother! You're gonna have a full freezer before the week's out!:D
That blade looks awesome and the steel choice is nice, too. I know bone and especially hair are edge killers.
Great stuff. Now I'm hungry for deer steak. ;)
Iz

Thanks Iz. I'm sure this steel would have no problem busting through bone but the knife is to small to get enough leverage. I use a larger knife in A2 steel to split the pelvic bone and cut up through the breastbone.
Scott

Forgot to say, it does my heart good to see that you're a fellow meat hunter. I'll shoot a big buck if it walks right in front of me but I'd much rather have the two you've got here. I love me some deer meat.:D
Iz

That's what I hunt for is meat. A big rack buck is nice but I prefer to load up the freezer then the wall with antlers. I've gotten a few nice rack bucks over the years. The pic on my website is a piebald 7 pointer I shot in 1999. He weighed 178 lbs.
Scott

Congrats again Scott!!

Very rewarding to sit down to a good meal that you have worked so hard for!

How bout a couple pics of your muzzleloader. :thumbup::thumbup:

Scott you have a nice muzzle loader. I have a CVA apollo and a T/C black diamond. Been thinking of putting a bipod on mine. I am going to get back into muzzle loading have only bow hunted for the last 13 years.

Mike

Thanks guys. That muzzleloader has put 32 deer in the freezer since 2001. It is super accurate and is easy to clean. I use 110 grains of Triple Seven powder with Cabela's Precision X-Tended Range Sabots, 180 gr.
Scott

Last edited:
Back