Unknown Axe/Hatchet

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I would like some help Identifying this axe or hatchet.

Things I know about it

-It's roughly 26"

I can make out the markings of

-D.E above the star and CAXL A(?) Below it

-There is a 2 3/4 stamp on the head, on the blade side of the handle

-There also appears to be a black coating on the head extending about 2" from the blade, possibly paint.

I bought this as a fixer-upper and something to keep in my rig and spent less than $10 on it. Any information that I can get would be greatly appreciated. I've also attached 4 pictures for reference

TURWNI3.jpg

>This shows the back of the head with the (makers?) marks

Oh99Gxm.jpg

>This is a picture of the full head

ozdrIwl.jpg

>This Is the punched 2 3/4

mzIll1D.jpg

>Finally this is the full view

Some one here will know what this is. The stamp 2 3/4 indicates the weight of the head.

I believe that is an old Maine pattern axe. Actually the word is Oakland for Oakland Maine, a center of Axe Manufacturing in the 19th and early 20th century. Many axe manufacturers there and I don't know which one that is. Excellent find.

Looks like an Oakie to me,maybe Dunn Edge Tool Company. I've seen their axes stamped similarly with D. E. T. Co. and Oakland Maine underneath.

Last edited:
That's an interesting pattern for a boy's axe weight tool. Great find!

And way to go, DarthTaco on the ID.

Not positive on the pattern of it, but it sure as heck does remind me of a Dunn stamp. Might have been one of their specialty models which explains the star.

Looks like a two piece construction and they did not skimp on materials either. What a great old axe. Blanchard, if you are new to axes you have an eye for quality.

DarthTaco, you seem to be getting real good with identifying axes. I love those old school Main axes. just real hard to come by around here.

I can identify a few of the larger brands from Maine now, but I still haven't the foggiest idea on most of them, so don't give me too much credit.

Back