Unleashing the Beasts

Ah dang it! I got home this morning and just now got around to looking at my photos. I am saddened to inform everyone that I am somehow missing two videos and around a dozen photos of the Barax and One Shot (now lovingly called Bigfoot's One Shot). Luckily it seems that all the family photos survived, so that's good at least. I still have a few photos though, so hopefully those will be enough to satisfy your lust for large pieces of steel.

First, I bring you David Mary David Mary 's hybrid masterpiece, the Barax.

Measuring 22 inches with a 14 inch cutting edge, this beauty weighs in at a lightweight 25oz (just over a pound and a half). Made of AEB-L and python micarta, this is one of David's earlier Barax (David, what is plural of Barax, we must know. For science!), the first in AEB-L in fact. David was worried he brought the edge too thin on this one to handle heavy chopping abuse, but I have proven that untrue with a lot of playtime and absolutely no damage. I purchased this for myself as a 30th birthday present, because we all deserve to spoil ourselves sometimes.

tzE3C0B.jpg

etH9pFw.jpg

aeoFxr2.jpg

NHljyEs.jpg

5xJrOVz.jpg

Next, I bring you my main event. Ladies and Gentleman, Bigfoot's One Shot!

Measuring 24 inches with a 13x3inch blade, this beast weighs in at 45.5oz (just under three pounds of chop). Made from Aldo's 1084 and green/grey pakkawood, this forest dwelling monster is a collaboration between David Mary David Mary and myself. When I finished grinding this bad boy to shape, I realized that I was ill equipped to handle such a massive undertaking. Luckily for me, I had purchased several of David's works in the past and knew that he was the one guy I could go to to make my dream a reality. Obviously, he didn't disappoint!

dqZoBek.jpg

CHRVwKt.jpg

WiGUtyI.jpg

x10zUNY.jpg

G5d8VGx.jpg

SJPJc6I.jpg

ffU345H.jpg

8DWSlkV.jpg

I lost the majority of my camping footage of this king of choppers, so I added some I took before the trip. You can see the patina already beginning to form on the blade in the first few photos is non-existent in the last few.

Sam thanks for the pics! Quick correction: your Barax handle is G10, and your One Shot handle is Frogblanks, meaning there is no resin. It's essentially natural wood, so it's not as water resistant actual pakkawood, and should be kept oiled.

Wow. That One Shot is massive. Gives carcass splitter vibes.

I long the long handles on these. Long handles give lots of versatility.

In the pic with the half an apple, is the small blade a David Mary as well?

The One Shot is so dang weird! I know I'm a big guy, so I have big paws, but I'm only 5'9, so they can't be that big! How can this thing be so easy to use in one hand? We gave it plenty of room to be used as a two-handed super chopper, but that also seems to work as a counterbalance when gripping one handed up top, really allowing you to control the massive blade.

Next, I bring you my main event. Ladies and Gentleman, Bigfoot's One Shot!

Measuring 24 inches with a 13x3inch blade, this beast weighs in at 45.5oz (just under three pounds of chop). Made from Aldo's 1084 and green/grey pakkawood, this forest dwelling monster is a collaboration between David Mary David Mary and myself. When I finished grinding this bad boy to shape, I realized that I was ill equipped to handle such a massive undertaking. Luckily for me, I had purchased several of David's works in the past and knew that he was the one guy I could go to to make my dream a reality. Obviously, he didn't disappoint!

dqZoBek.jpg

CHRVwKt.jpg

WiGUtyI.jpg

x10zUNY.jpg

G5d8VGx.jpg

SJPJc6I.jpg

ffU345H.jpg

8DWSlkV.jpg

I lost the majority of my camping footage of this king of choppers, so I added some I took before the trip. You can see the patina already beginning to form on the blade in the first few photos is non-existent in the last few.
What does that weigh, like, two of your dog? WOW!!
I love it, as well as the other large ones from David. Giving me much confidence in his ability!

Back