unusual gadget and gear

Do you have some unusual gadget and gear, something maybe made by yourself, a friend, something no longer available, odd and old stuff, some thing with a story to tell ?

for me, just my light ( can I call it flashlight ? because it's very very small ), and especially because it's mod by myself

sure, my latest is a ti tent stake which i sharpened so that i could use it as a marlin spike, but to be honest, it's just a great poking stick. but it's ti, and i do love that metal.

I have a half-binocular that I bought on ebay for $25. It was one tube of an individual focus 7x50 waterproof marine binocular.
Optics are excellent. The only thing is, I don't think the nitrogen purging is good anymore (it tends to fog up), so I've been looking into getting it re-purged.

johnniet said:
I have a half-binocular that I bought on ebay for $25. It was one tube of an individual focus 7x50 waterproof marine binocular.
Optics are excellent. The only thing is, I don't think the nitrogen purging is good anymore (it tends to fog up), so I've been looking into getting it re-purged.

So if I understand well your post, it means we can probably cut any binocular to get 2 monocular ? Is it doable without damage for the optical system and internal air ?

why not just buy a monocular? brunton makes a great set of optics and their eterna 6x30 monocular would be no different. sorry for tread stealing.

I screwed a 1.5" diameter cup hook into the top of a walking staff. It goes through the grommet on my tarp so the staff is the "tent pole." It allows easy retrieval of bear bags if you use the balance system.

I have made some thing to communicate with my neibourgh like a phone line

Cost of the communication : zero
Cost of the stuff : nearly zero
Time to make the stuff : 15 minutes

KnifeTest said:
I have made some thing to communicate with my neibourgh like a phone line

Cost of the communication : zero
Cost of the stuff : nearly zero
Time to make the stuff : 15 minutes

Two empty bean cans and a ball of string? :)

bladefixation2 said:
Two empty bean cans and a ball of string? :)

It's been done already:

tincan.gif