Unusual shield on Buck 301

looks like a cool advertising spot. ACCO FEEDS?

Unless I miss my guess, the long pull means it is a Camillus manufactured knife.
While I've never heard of "ACCO FEEDS" before (Yes, Petunia, there are cattle and other live stock in Iowa. The fields are not just full of corn and Soy Beans. You can smell the proof of that when the farmers finish fertilizing their fields with residue of cow an bull every spring.
Nothing like the smell of "fresh country air" ... (except maybe an outhouse or a full/over-full stock yard ...)
My guess is that feed company ordered some advertising knives from Buck.
Maybe the Farmer received a "free" Buck 301 knife for buying 301 Kilograms or more of feed in one go?

Cool knife. :)

Last edited:
I've never seen Buck do that before, not on the shield. Now that I've said that, I bet we see a bunch.

The back side of these shields are an open canvas. Maybe someone popped it off, stamped the logo and glued it back on.

I’ve bought Acco feed products years ago when I was ranching cattle and got a few caps but I never saw any of their advertisement knives. It may have been a promotional on bulk sales or a dealer volume sales incentive well before my time in the cattle business. I’ve seen ad knives with etched blades of other brands but not on the shield. That is a nice example! Thanks for sharing your knife pics !

Thanks for all the comments guys.I got it at a very good price with box and paperwork so this one will stay in the collection.
Makes me wonder if there are any more uncommon shields out there on 300 series knives

First for me too, but Buck Knives was heavily into advertising and safety knives in the 1980’s and 1990’s with the 110 Folding Hunter. I own a couple and have seen many on here and in person. Maybe they also offered the 300 series as an advertising knife. OH

Anything is possible.If there are others like this out there I'd sure like to see them.

One thing to remember is that many Companies other than Buck would make 'advertising' and special project knives in basically any number. Camillus itself might have did the project but the fact that it came in a Buck box makes that unlikely. The shield is also much bigger so it would not be as simple as popping out the factory shield and gluing in a new one. It does seem fairly simple to do and for a small number ( for executives maybe?) not all that expensive.

Thanks for showing us that...So a simple shield replacement. I'm surprised we haven't seen more different ones show up.

I have several company shield stamps from the Buck era. Stores that had Buck displays liked their name on the shield and gave them out to good customers. Some shields just have a company symbol shield and those can be a head scratcher to figure out who they were for. Anyone could have a special order shield install, as long as you order the minimum number. I once asked Buck how many (few) they would stamp a special shield . I was thinking about a Buck Forum stamp. In the late 90's it was 300 knives. I was too cheap to invest in that many and the possibility of being stuck with couple hundred of unsold folders. I will guess and say they won't do that anymore as the sides of the 300 series now comes to the factory as finished product with Buck just assembling and blading. Not the overseas knives those arrive completed. That's my take on it anyway.

I have one someone glued another knife company shield in place, an exact fit. It was a brass shield with a eagle and scroll in its talons. Maybe a Parker Knives shield ? 300

Along with stamped shields there were inked blades also.

large.jpg

large.jpg

This one had Buck stamp ground off tang and then Remington laser etched in its place with Remington shield. It could actually been a Cami tang stamp ground off before laser printing. At the end anything to make some money for Cami.
large.jpg

img

Last edited:
Bert, I swear I had someone tell me who the symbol was for. I will dig in note card record. It was a big engineering/building company. First letter B as you can see and world wide. 300

Back