Unusual Weather

The wife and I thought we'd enjoy some fall color and weather.

So we decided to rent the "Wilderness Cabin" again at Cass Scenic Railroad State Park.

The cabin is the old cabin that went with the Fire Tower on Bald Knob, one of the highest points in WV.

You have to ride the train up 2 hours to Bald Knob and then walk about 3/4 mile to the cabin. One room cabin.No running water. Kerosene lamps. Sets right on the edge of the Monongahela National Forest. Wood cookstove for heat.

So we were staying there 4 days 10/1 thr 4 leaving 10/5. Be damned if a huge snowstorm didn't hit!

On the way up
bkc1u.jpg

Right after we got there
bkc2.jpg

Later that night.
knob5.jpg

Sunday
knob1.jpg

By Monday we had 8"

knob3.jpg

Wow. Did you pack your snow shoes?

At least you water was taken care of. Always a silver lining. ;)

Be prepared! Peace and quiet, and a preview of the coming season.
At least you weren't expecting a dude ranch with swimming pool. :D

an empty chill

freezing in a heatless house
the cold has killed off every mouse
but cold will never kill me too
buddhists know just what to do

write a haiku and declare
cold is really an illusion
absence of heat, not something there
shivering is only mental confusion

turn the dial
electric heat
rise to warm
my frozen feet

but my frozen feet don't care
cold is really 'nothing there'

-- EB

I thought this one was cool

arrow1b.jpg

The head was actually whittled separately and attached to the shaft with metal wire

arrow2g.jpg

The sides were grooved and the fletching inserted. I couldnt' figure out what they were made of. Maybe bark.
arrow3.jpg

And the punch line on the shaft.

arrow4.jpg

I love being snowed in in a mountain cabin. I did that once at Ponca Arkansas on the Buffalo National River. No heat but a log burning fireplace. I hotted it up so much we had to open the door during the snowstorm! Luckily I had piled firewood on the covered porch before the storm hit and didn't have to dig in the snow for it!

Cool pics. How was the hike out? Slip-n-slide?

Looks like a pretty great trip !! Wish I could get my beloved to do something like that.. Unfortunately if we did and a storm hit us, I'd send more time outside than in... Hmmmm ... Hey Sweety !! LOL

I do have to ask.. Did they supply firewood for the cookstove or did you have to scrounge up your own ?? Either way, still looks like a fun time up there..

Thanks again for sharing !!

Countries may change but enjoying snowfall in the hills is a common pleasure ... those are some of the greatest times ...

Probably not the kind of trip you had in mind but I bet you had a good time even with the snow.

I do have to ask.. Did they supply firewood for the cookstove or did you have to scrounge up your own ?? Either way, still looks like a fun time up there..

Thanks again for sharing !!

There was a wood house and it was stocke with mostly black locust!
woodhause.jpg

However to get the stove burning I had to split some.

My GB got some use
90148661.jpg

So did this Puronvarsi Scandi I put together. The blade has a rhombic shape and it splits stuff great

scandi2.jpg

scandi1.jpg

The wife and I thought we'd enjoy some fall color and weather.
knob5.jpg
Figures...

I got refamiliarized with unexpected weather screwing up the works this spring, and am about to spend part of this coming vacation finishing up things left undone from that vacation:rolleyes:
Sometimes you just gotta make the best of things. At least you got to play a little!

Snow fall in the mountains is always so beautiful to see. Looks like a great time.

Back