Upcoming Knife Tests: What would you do?

Just read David Rikers post about the Ascent, Voyager & Endura. Sounds like the second test line up is done huh?

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator

How about testing a few working class factory knives along with the high end ultra tactical knives? Like Ontario Spec Plus, Kabar, the Fallkniven A1, and maybe a Wustoff-Trident chef's knife or other heavy duty chef's knife?

In perhaps a separate category, test some fixed blade knives that are short enough to do precise work with the point, and for heavy cutting would need a smack on the spine with a stick instead of a chopping motion.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

One other note. It's important to make parts of the tests as objective as possible. However, subjective observations are an important part of testing and reviewing. "I didn't like the way this felt", "the handle was too small for my hand", "the thumb stud was in the wrong place for my thumb" are all important and valuable observations. Don't go overboard on the objective parts. Document your subjective observations as well, though make sure they are labelled as such, or obviously interpreted as such.

Joe
jat@cup.hp.com

Virtually all the above will be taken into consideration. We will be testing the Ka-Bar 1217 against the SRK and the ON-SP1. No more than 3 knives per test unless more is a must to be fair.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator

Knives should be tested in tha manner that they are actually used. I've never had to cut a free hanging rope and I cut cement blocks with a saw or a brick hammer.
Rope should be cut the way we actually cut rope. Bend it in 2, hold both pieces
in one hand , slip the blade and cut it.
The things that have been hardest on knives in my own experience is rubber hose that has the wire mesh in it, packing
( as would be used in very large pumps and other industrial applications) in one and a half inch size or bigger and the gasket material that has now replaced the old black asbestos material..Shave down some nylon bar stock. Grap a pile of roof shingles and a square and cut away. Do some aluminum and copper flashing while you're at it. Although we're crossing the line here a bit on what is considered the right tool for the job and using/abusing comes in to the picture, it's more in line with what dulls an edge in the work world, If it holds up to those materials it will hold up to most anything.

Couldn't you test the standard Buck 119 special (or the Buck 119 woodsmate with kraton handle),which seems to be a quite "common" knife.

It would be fun to se how it performs alongside knives as SRK, Fallkniven A1 and those Mad Dogs.

(The main reason I wrote this is that I sold my beloved SRK when I was in desperate need of money. I am now owner of an Buck 119 Woodsmate, and it would be fun to see it compared to other "survival" knives.)

/Henrik

[This message has been edited by Cousin Cinnamon (edited 11-10-98).]

Maybe some kind of test to see how long the knife stays in the sheath. Strap the sheath(with knife in it) to one of those paint can shaking machines and let it go. Of course if the knife comes out it will probably stick in someone. How about hanging the sheaths and knives upside down from a cloths line and then shake the line for awhile. I don't know. I guess there is no good way to test sheath retention that would be fair to all the knives. Oh well.
Blades

Try car radiator hose - it has wire threads in it.
Cardboard tubing
Big chopping stroke on sheet metal
Not sure this would work, but one thing that's hard to break up is a 50lb block of ice. You could chop, stab, or thrust it. You might need more than one and when you're done, use it.
Shag carpet
Plastic siding on house
Coconuts & melons
biggrin.gif

Back