UPDATE - Need Some Tomahawk Help

Most of the slip fit tomahawks were trade axes imported from Europe.
Those axes weren't meant to be slipped on and off the the haft. The design just made it easier to replace the handle, when it broke.
The "basic principle of the hawk" you talk about is not a basic principle, just one variant of the hawk use.
Removing the head doesn't add much user value, beyond the more compact storage or carry option.
It is more difficult to hold onto the head without the handle and you can carve with the haft on too by choking up on the haft.
Carving axes and adzes all have solidly attached handles for the same reason.
If your handle is not tightly fit, but instead easy to slip, it won't be a good woodworking tool or weapon.
It might be less stressful for the handle during repeated throwing.

There are slip fit contemporary Basque axes and bearded axes from Southeastern Europe. Those are all tightly fit for a reason.
The OP wants a hammer poll tomahawk. Ever used a loosely fit hammer?

By the way Cold Steel, CRKT etc., all fit their hawk handles using a hydraulic press.
The Cold Steel hawks' eye are usually not cleaned very well after the drop forging, that is why the factory fit usually is not very solid. Hence the set screw.

I am looking for a Tomahawk. I don't want it made in China or Taiwan. So far the only ones that I can find that I like are American Tomahawk Company Model 1 and Condor Tool and Knife Indian Hammer Poll. I did find a company that sells just the head but you have heat treat it and I am not sure if that is a good idea or not , hatchetsandaxes.com. I also found a seller that sells the head only and they are from Hungary produced by ΛdiThiel - the ArchaeoSmith, not sure if anyone has dealt with them. I prefer the one with a hammer. Any help with this will be appriciated.

$400 ?!?!!!? No axe or hatchet is worth that much (the things hipsters call "tomohawks these days in case you did not know. ). I bought five second-hand USA made hatchets and axes for $11.50 over the last three weeks without trying at all at local garage and yard sales. And I could have bought more but one criminal wanted $5 for the two axes at his garage sale so I walked out.

I am amazed at what Capitalists have done to the minds of Westerners to get them to purchase the trendy, fashionable consumer goods they market and participate in their manufactured fake society.

I don't have to wonder about the quality of a second-hand axe or hatchet I pay $1 or $2 for. And if I caught myself worrying about it's style and popularity I would jamb my wife's knitting needles in at the top of my eyelids about three inches and swirl them around a few times.

$400 ?!?!!!? No axe or hatchet is worth that much (the things hipsters call "tomohawks these days in case you did not know. ). I bought five second-hand USA made hatchets and axes for $11.50 over the last three weeks without trying at all at local garage and yard sales. And I could have bought more but one criminal wanted $5 for the two axes at his garage sale so I walked out.

I am amazed at what Capitalists have done to the minds of Westerners to get them to purchase the trendy, fashionable consumer goods they market and participate in their manufactured fake society.

I don't have to wonder about the quality of a second-hand axe or hatchet I pay $1 or $2 for. And if I caught myself worrying about it's style and popularity I would jamb my wife's knitting needles in at the top of my eyelids about three inches and swirl them around a few times.
OP is looking for Tomahawks. Did you find any ? Please stay on topic.

OP is looking for Tomahawks. Did you find any ? Please stay on topic.
I have found a couple. I put my request in to the kids so that they know what dad wants for father's day. There were a few out there that I liked but narrowed it down to the H & B Forge Medium Camp Hawk. Like my knife collection I am sure it will grow. This one will be a user as are my knives.

"A hatchet or small hand axe is pretty versatile."

One of my spare time activities is restoring hatchets. Now, I have too many tomahawks and/or hatchets.
1. I don't recommend throwing tomahawks or hatchets as a pastime. If you do so, don't complain when they break or chip.
2. a small hatchet is a better long term choice than a tomahawk, whether shtf or not.
3. I loved the 1930s movie about the Last of the Mohicans and the tomahawks. When you are in your '70s, or are an urban dweller, or a boy scout level camper, or even a car camper, you are better off buying off buying a small hatchet.
4. When I calculate my time as having some value, it makes more sense to buy a Swedish quality hatchet with sales tax.
5. Owning a tomahawk is not the same as using a tomahawk. If you are unwilling to spend the money to learn the basic ergonomically correct blows (the best training is basic escrima), don't buy a tomahwak. It would be like buying a firearm and not knowing how to use it effectively.

One of my spare time activities is restoring hatchets. Now, I have too many tomahawks and/or hatchets.
1. I don't recommend throwing tomahawks or hatchets as a pastime. If you do so, don't complain when they break or chip.
2. a small hatchet is a better long term choice than a tomahawk, whether shtf or not.
3. I loved the 1930s movie about the Last of the Mohicans and the tomahawks. When you are in your '70s, or are an urban dweller, or a boy scout level camper, or even a car camper, you are better off buying off buying a small hatchet.
4. When I calculate my time as having some value, it makes more sense to buy a Swedish quality hatchet with sales tax.
5. Owning a tomahawk is not the same as using a tomahawk. If you are unwilling to spend the money to learn the basic ergonomically correct blows (the best training is basic escrima), don't buy a tomahwak. It would be like buying a firearm and not knowing how to use it effectively.
If you ever to decide to part with some tomahawks Please let me know, and maybe a few pics as well. Thanks,

Happy Father’s Day!!

it’s not here yet but it has been ordered!!!! Can’t wait to get it!!! 16 weeks waiting period yikes.....

51259741233_d05676001e_o_d.jpg

Last edited:

Comments from a user perspective:
1. Aim at different location than where you have a hawk in target already. It is "kinda cool" to split an arrow or double/triple stick a dart until you realize the destructive nature of your accuracy costs BOTH time & money.
2. I disagree (based on personal experiences growing up with a hatchet), and carrying a hawk in later years.
3. Agree, advice is good for many/most. Disagree based on my experiences in the field.
4. I have never spent that much money on a hatchet (and I am of Swedish decent), so again seems we have differing opinions.
5. I use a hawk with frequency. Three days this week already, used to throw with frequency (multiple days a week). I use a hawk primarily as a tool when a field, and for pleasure when situ warrants. If/when situ dictates tool familiarity will prevail.

I like the versatility of being able to remove the head and using it for bushcrafting.
Just FYI, I have an H&B and their heads are also press-fit. I was told that it may loosen over time with use but otherwise it would take a vice and heavy mallet blows to loosen.
Why do you think so/in what way? Seems to me they’re very similar tools (in some cases essentially identical tools) with a different head attachment system.

If you are unwilling to spend the money to learn the basic ergonomically correct blows (the best training is basic escrima), don't buy a tomahwak.
I’ve never heard this opinion expressed before. Again I don’t understand as I see these tools as extremely similar. Can you elaborate?

Last edited:
I'm not planning on doing anything with it other than camp stuff. I just like the idea of the versatility should I ever need it.

Why do you think so/in what way? Seems to me they’re very similar tools (in some cases essentially identical tools) with a different head attachment system.
I don't want to speak for the person you were quoting, but for me it's about head/face/bit geometry. A typical tomahawk head is pretty differently shaped from a typical hatchet or axe head. If I'm throwing the thing, or using it as a weapon, I'd probably prefer to have the tomahawk. If I'm using it for felling, bucking, and splitting I'd prefer an axe. Different tools for different uses.

I don't want to speak for the person you were quoting, but for me it's about head/face/bit geometry. A typical tomahawk head is pretty differently shaped from a typical hatchet or axe head. If I'm throwing the thing, or using it as a weapon, I'd probably prefer to have the tomahawk. If I'm using it for felling, bucking, and splitting I'd prefer an axe. Different tools for different uses.
This is true. I think for camping and bushcraft, the versatility of a tomahawk is ideal for me, personally. It is great for processing smaller branches and firewood, and can take on larger in a pinch. If they have a spike or poll that adds a bit more weight but also adds further functions. However if you are manually processing a good amount of large sized wood, you would want a set of axes I am sure.

And to add, I've got both an H&B forge Goshawk and an Estwing camper's axe and I feel they would both function fairly similarly in a camping situation. It really just comes down to preference

Me too, but there are certainly worse problems I could have. I’m facing it bravely.
That’s a pretty broad statement.
If you’re in your 70s, you probably know what you like, and don’t need me telling you how to be better off.
If you are unwilling to spend the money to learn the basic ergonomically correct blows (the best training is basic escrima), don't buy a tomahwak. It would be like buying a firearm and not knowing how to use it effectively.
Okay, that’s a pretty narrow statement.

I’m with Aaron on this, “best” tool depends on use. I have a favorite framing hammer, and also a favorite drywall hatchet. I use them a lot. Trying to invent a compromise tool for both those tasks would be a recipe for disappointment.

But even more important, people have (or develop) different preferences. So while I can tell the OP my preference (spike hawks) and perhaps the reasons for it (firewood handling), I have no chance of predicting what his eventual preference will turn out to be. I think he’s on the right track, though: buy (or make) one, try it out, decide what you like and don’t like about it. Repeat until satisfied.

I will say, that I consider my skills and experience of making and modifying tomahawks to have some value (though perhaps not as much as I’ve invested in time and tooling), and I have never bought a Swedish hatchet. I’m not of Swedish descent, and their handles are too curvy for my... preference.

Parker

Last edited:
Back