Update on my GunHammer Good and Bad

A bit of an update on my Gun Hammer: I have been using it for odd chores and some cutting of rope, twine and sticks. It looks and cuts just fine and opens with a resounding snap, not sluggish at all. The lock up is rock solid, however a few issues that have arisen which will keep it from a primary EDC work knife for me. I constantly use my knives at work and rely on them quite a bit.

The flipper creates a very bad hot spot which rubs my forefinger to the point of a potential blister. A bigger handle or a different flipper design will
will give more relief.

The finish however good it looks is very slick and I must continually re-grip.

The anodizing may have not adhered properly and is coming off in places (chipping) which on a positive note is exposing a ruffer texture beneath it which I think I like better for gripping. I may strip all of the anodizing off and use it that way. I am nervous about doing this.

The pocket clip is pointy and sharp and I am going to round it off for better performance.

I am a little disappointed after actually using the knife as I was so stoked about it when I first got it. I absolutely love the way it looks and the customer service is second to none

You may not agree but now I have a nice grippy matt finish and no uncomfortable flipper. I can take this baby to work! And it still opens like a rocket and locks up like a bank vault!

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

I do not agree with that, personally. What I can agree with is that you modified the knife to work for you. There is nothing wrong with that. Also, it looks like you did a great job with modifying it. The profile now reminds me of one of the smaller Busse fixed blades.

Thanks. I did not want to stick it in a drawer, give it away or use it for something less than originally intended so these modifications put it right back in the hunt.

Jeff,
If you send that knife to us, we will blast off the ano and put a rough finish on it for you.
It will be silver color but it will be aa much rougher grip.
Let us know.
We want happy users!

Happy New Year!

Darrel I appreciate the offer but I like the original color. I really don't understand the composition of the ano but underneath the shiny surafce that was chipping (not sure if chipping is the correct term) is a nice matte finish that has better purchase. :thumbup:

Happy New Year!

I have been using mine a lot. Skinned two bucks and had no dulling of the blade. Also I had no trouble with the flipper rubbing my finger. In fact, I love the position of the flipper and choil. I would change nothing about mine and once again I say it is the best EDC I have ever had. This is a Man's knife but slides in and out of the pocket like a refined gentlemens knife. I will be buying another Darrel Ralph design knife in the future. Pure quality. My Sabenza, Strider, Sage 2, Paramilitary 2 and Bone collector will be in the drawer now. My previous favorite EDC was a bolstered Andres DeVillier custom beauty. I am an Army Officer and will be deployed in March. My Gunhammer will be with me.

Last edited:
Tiger84, really glad you like your knife. I guess that is why there are so many different knives and styles out there.

As I mentioned earlier, it is a nice cross between form and function and is able to pull off those instances in a group of non-knife people that other knives might not.

Unfortunately it just did not fit me the way it was, but with a slight modification it now does. My needs are probably a little different than yours and that probably is all that it is.

Be safe when you deploy.

I have been using mine a lot. Skinned two bucks and had no dulling of the blade. Also I had no trouble with the flipper rubbing my finger. In fact, I love the position of the flipper and choil. I would change nothing about mine and once again I say it is the best EDC I have ever had. This is a Man's knife but slides in and out of the pocket like a refined gentlemens knife. I will be buying another Darrel Ralph design knife in the future. Pure quality. My Sabenza, Strider, Sage 2, Paramilitary 2 and Bone collector will be in the drawer now. My previous favorite EDC was a bolstered Andres DeVillier custom beauty. I am an Army Officer and will be deployed in March. My Gunhammer will be with me.

First off, Thank you! I hope your deployment goes well and you return safe! The Gunhammer is a solid piece of work! It will serve you well.

Back