Update on server attacks

If it continues on I may have to block many of these countries, so I apologize in advance to our users from those areas.
I don't know much about how these kinds of things work, but even if you blocked those countries, couldn't the attacks be continued through a proxy server?

Down from just after noon to 3-something EST here. Someone told me about the Facebook announcement, "working on the server."

Another attack, or preventative measures installed, or both...?

~ P.

Down from just after noon to 3-something EST here. Someone told me about the Facebook announcement, "working on the server."

Another attack, or preventative measures installed, or both...?

~ P.

Sounds about right. I was noticing the site was inaccessible for at least a couple hours in the same time frame. Hopefully part of that might've been to install a fix(?).

Keeping my fingers crossed...

David

Same here in the UK, down for several hours.

There are attacks coming from all directions these days in their effort to bring down cyber attacks on entire countries and networks, call it cyber war and BF is a big target in the electronic wars going on. If they can start bringing down large websites they could in theory shut down things like water treatment plants, military installations, nukes and even facebook.

:eek: Not facebook?!?!?!?!?!?!

Site was down from noon until 3 and we're still resolving root causes.

Is it just me, or was the site down again this morning? Wasn't able to access the site for ~20 minutes or so, after first trying at approx. 9:10 a.m Mountain Time (11:10 am Eastern).

David

10 Am CDT and I could not log on until about half an hour later.

Same here.
It was nothing like yesterday, and I've been having trouble a few days a week for a long time now.
I know Spark is working hard on it, so maybe things will get worked out in the next month or two.

They go after sites like this for the same reason we practice sharpening on beater knives. The budding spammer/hacker isn't gonna go test his meddle on a huge corporation or government that can actually do something in retaliation. We are being attacked for practice lol.

Identified a possible root cause and solution. Still working on things though.

I've no idea if this was the primary cause of recent troubles here, or compounded the issue, or even if it's related at all. If not, my apologies to Spark for the distraction. But, this story has broke in the news in the last couple days, and it sounds like it caused havoc on the internet around the world, in the last week or two at least. A brief excerpt is quoted below the link to the original article (bolded emphasis added by me):

http://www.itworld.com/internet/349...mhaus-was-reportedly-largest-history?page=0,0

DDoS attack against Spamhaus was reportedly the largest in history

The attack caused problems for the global Internet
http://www.itworld.com/internet/349995/ddos-attack-against-spamhaus-was-reportedly-largest-history
March 27, 2013, 4:04 PM

By Lucian Constantin, IDG News Service

A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack of unprecedented scale that targeted an international spam-fighting organization last week ended up causing problems for Internet users around the world, experts say.

The DDoS attack started more than a week ago and targeted the Spamhaus Project, an organization based in Geneva, Switzerland, and London that maintains databases of IP (Internet Protocol) addresses, domain names and other Internet resources involved in spam, malware and other abusive online activities.

Spamhaus publishes the data in the form of block lists that are used by Internet and email service providers, corporations, universities and governments around the world to filter Internet traffic on their networks and servers.

(...)

The attackers ultimately targeted Tier 1 providers, which operate the networks at the core of the Internet, and Internet Exchanges (IX), critical nodes located around the world that connect large networks like those of Google, Facebook, Yahoo and pretty much every major Internet company.

(...)

David

That's interesting David but this site (Blade Forums) is the only site I go to that has the problems reported in this thread and other threads that relate to it.

I belong to other knife, gun, sites (even a Tractor Forum) that are powered by vBulletin and none of them are having these problems.

I haven't complained about these problems to Spark because so many of you have; however, I have to say that I haven't really had too many problems with this site unless Spark himself has taken the site down for repair/maintenance, etc.. I use Windows XP (both Home and Traditional) and IE8.

Oh, I also connect to some sites in the UK, the PI, Thailand, and other countries I was stationed in while in the Navy and have had no problems with those sites either.

Last edited:
Why do i get this picture whenever i try to log on?

121025_kim_jong_un_140a.photoblog600.jpg

That's interesting David but this site (Blade Forums) is the only site I go to that has the problems reported in this thread and other threads that relate to it.

I belong to other knife, gun, sites (even a Tractor Forum) that are powered by vBulletin and none of them are having these problems.

I haven't complained about these problems to Spark because so many of you have; however, I have to say that I haven't really had too many problems with this site unless Spark himself has taken the site down for repair/maintenance, etc.. I use Windows XP (both Home and Traditional) and IE8.

Oh, I also connect to some sites in the UK, the PI, Thailand, and other countries I was stationed in while in the Navy and have had now problems with those sites either.

I had wondered if BF was in some way connected to/thru some of the Tier 1 providers mentioned in the article, or indirectly impacted via other targeted sites that might be associated with BF (like Facebook, or Google, which handles traffic and/or provides data storage for so many others). I had seen that most other sites I frequented weren't having similar issues (or at least, they weren't as apparent, if so). But the sheer scale of the problems described in the article made me wonder if it was at least playing into the issues on BF.

For what it's worth, in the last 3-4 days or so, I also haven't had many complaints about accessibility here, as compared to the days/weeks preceding. It seems something has improved on BF lately, as seen from my end, so I'm hoping that's not just a fluke.

David

Last edited:
Back