Update Scrade fixed-blades

I'd like to see some new Old Timer carbon steel fixed-blades in updated designs. Schrade now makes two carbon steel Old Timer fixed-blades, the Sharpfinger and the 158OT Guthook. I have both models and they are good, sturdy, useful knives. I also have some older, now discontinued, fixed-blades, namely the 15OT Deerslayer, 160OT Mountain Lion, and 165OT. While these knives are of good quality, the designs are rather dated by todays standards.
How about Schrade bringing out some new Old Timer carbon steel fixed-blades in updated designs? Look at the popularity of Newt Livesay's and TOPS knives, and others of their kind. I think Schrade would have some real winners on their hands if it brought out a line of delrin-handled carbon steel fixed blades in more current designs, such as drop-point, clip-point, and spear-point. How about it, Schrade?

I agree that new factory offerings in reasonably priced carbon steel would be great. Unfortunately the general public who must make up the majority of Schrade's sales probably prefer the stainless lines. Oh well.

I would love to see Schrade come out with some new designs in carbon steel at a reasonable price point.

My old Deerslayer has done a lot of skinning for me over the years and a lot of butchering. It was my first good hunting knife as a kid. I used it to cut up a deer I killed in the hill country of Texas just this past winter even though I have fancier knives. Just something about familiarity.
And I love the way plain old 1095 cuts.

...and while the subject is up, last year I bought a pretty well used UH 171, cleaned it up, re-stitched the sheath, put a new stone in the pocket, and it LEAPED out of my hands into the bag of a friend who HAD to have it in his elk hunting kit. Since then I've tried to find another at a reasonable price, and guess what? They all get snapped up too ! Someone must know something !!
Mike
Pikes Peak Country

In replying to Marty, I think your point is a valid one about carbon steel fixed blades. We still feel that the fixed blade market is very solid, with room to grow - with the right products.

------------------
Tim Faust
Product Manager
www.schradeknives.com

I would like to see that also. In addition, I'd like to see the large lockbacks made in 1095, too. The limited run knives especilly the ones with bone handles, would be more appealing with carbon blades. RKBA!

I like Schrade knives very much. My first knife I bought was a UH Trapper .

It would be great if Schrade made some folding Toothpick knives with 1095 blades - around 3 7/8" long fits in the pocket nicely.

1095 is a great steel and a real consumer favorite - it’s easy to sharpen and holds a very good edge.

------------------
Tim Faust
Product Manager
www.schradeknives.com

Back