Update... Sneaky Pete or Bullfrog Bowie, decision made

What's up sharks! So, as I sell off pieces of my collection, I'm eyeing replacements... so far, I keep coming back to the Sneaky Pete and the Bullfrog Bowie (the Asp and the Big Sneaky are also in the running).

With regard to the first two, can anyone who's had experience with one/ both share their thoughts. Either would pull everything from regular kitchen duty, to day hike companion, to general 'small camp knife' duty.

Pics are appreciated :D

Thanks

I don’t have a Bullfrog Bowie, but my Sneaky Pete is my go to EDC for around the house. The handle is the most comfortable I’ve ever experienced.

I don’t use it in the kitchen. An unswedeged version would make a really nice backcountry knife.

Personally, it’s a bit bigger than what I’d typically carry on a day hike. I really like the bushraptor for that and have my eye out for a hiking buddy.

Thanks Trained Bullets,

My interest in Fiddleback is about me getting away from overly large/heavy knives--so, my gut reaction would have been that the Sneaky Pete would be too small for a day hike. I'm curing myself of that fallacy... but slowly.

Thanks too for the insight into the ergos... it looks very user-friendly. The Bullfrog Bowie looks to be equally comfy... and I'm a sucker for clip points. However, smaller SP seems more practical for the day to day. Still not sure which way to jump.

A Forager is still in my future... again, the big knife thing.

if you want a big knife.........get a Camp

they make me smile every time I pick one up

edit...
i misread your post. i thought i had read you were looking for a big knife in previous posts & evidently it's the opposite..

sorry about that.....still get a Camp

Last edited:
if you want a big knife.........get a Camp

they make me smile every time I pick one up

edit...
i misread your post. i thought i had read you were looking for a big knife in previous posts & evidently it's the opposite..

sorry about that.....still get a Camp
Well, I want a big one--which is why I'm looking forward to the Forager. But so many of these Fiddlebacks are appealing, that a smaller one, or maybe ten, has become a 'must have.'

The Bullfrog Bowie has a edge in style and the SP has an edge in woodland-functionality. I carried a SP for a long time to do Bushcrafting chores. Lately it seems like everything needs a clip to sell, but the SP I carried didn't have one. Both are a fine handfull of knife. Dylan carries a Bullfrog Bowie right now. He was smitten with that design from the start.

Thanks Andy--as much as I love clip points, there is something about the SP that just has me coming back and staring at it, again and again. One the dust settles on a few sales on my end, I'll be making one of those mine. Thanks for posting--truly looking forward to my first Fiddleback!

So... decision made--first Fiddleback ordered! I went with a Sneaky Pete that showed up at USAMADEBLADE... Blackwood over Black and Lime, TT, 1/8 A2

The dark scales made the difference... the Bullfrog I was checking out had natural micarta; I like darker handle material.

I can't wait to have in hand. Sheath recommendations? I was leaning in the direction of the Diomedes sheath that clips in the pocket. Not sure yet.

So... decision made--first Fiddleback ordered! I went with a Sneaky Pete that showed up at USAMADEBLADE... Blackwood over Black and Lime, TT, 1/8 A2

The dark scales made the difference... the Bullfrog I was checking out had natural micarta; I like darker handle material.

I can't wait to have in hand. Sheath recommendations? I was leaning in the direction of the Diomedes sheath that clips in the pocket. Not sure yet.

Found it on USA Made Blade's site, Good looking blade!

Diomedes does some nice Pocket sheaths. The Sneaky Pete is a bit big IMO for pocket carry, but if it works for you, Go for it!

Ive pocket carried mine. But if I cant pocket carry something I usually dont carry it. Great choice. Thanks for supporting Scott!

Ive pocket carried mine. But if I cant pocket carry something I usually dont carry it. Great choice. Thanks for supporting Scott!

Do you carry the knife in your back pocket? I tried to pocket carry my Kephart in my front pocket, but that didn't work at all.

Thanks Andy--it looks to be a sweet knife! If you don't mind me asking, which sheath did you use for pocket carry?

And Scott is great too--I've bought from him before, and only had the best experiences.

So, this showed up yesterday. Belt sheath inbound from Olde Towne Cutlery. Thanks to all that helped with the decision, and especially to Andy and Phillip--great knives and great people.

2j0mgb9.jpg

Blackwood. Love it. You got one with quite a bit of curl cut into the scales of the back of the handle. I love when the profile works out that way. The SP is actually too wide by just a smidge to fit on 1.5" bar stock. So, depending whether the profiler takes the extra off the spine or the guard side, the handle shape changes slightly. This allows that little detail of handle material there. Sexy. Some folks, in a thread a while back even thought it was more comfortable. Meh. I don't know. I like how it looks though.

Blackwood. Love it. You got one with quite a bit of curl cut into the scales of the back of the handle. I love when the profile works out that way. The SP is actually too wide by just a smidge to fit on 1.5" bar stock. So, depending whether the profiler takes the extra off the spine or the guard side, the handle shape changes slightly. This allows that little detail of handle material there. Sexy. Some folks, in a thread a while back even thought it was more comfortable. Meh. I don't know. I like how it looks though.
Thanks everyone, and thanks again, Andy. I love learning the little details that make up the larger process! It's exceptionally comfortable, stunning, and man, does it cut! I just sliced up some fruit for my kids, and I can say without a doubt, nothing I have cuts/slices better... and I have some pretty nice blades.

Fiddleback rocks!

Back