Review UPDATE! Spyderco Ladybug 3 - PURPLE? FAKE? LAVENDER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale Storm

Kydex Whisperer
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well, I wanted a Ladybug 3 for a long time to throw in my small tackle box and replace the Buck 425. VG-10 and better edge geometry (IMHO) are my reasons. Plus I had some Christmas money to spend on the big river site. And I'm tired of everything being black (especially FRN).

Well, it came the other day and I decided to carry it today before it gets put away in the tackle box.

WTF?! Is it just me or is this thing NOT purple? It looks very subdued compared to every picture I've seen of this knife. I thought it would be PURPLE, but it looks more Lavender, or Fuscia, or Magenta (hell, I don't know what color it is, I'm a guy, but it looks like it's not purple to me).

For color clarity, here are pics of the knife next to a Spyderco manix 2 in brown G10 and a black Sharpie marker and a yellow mechanical pencil.

Thoughts?
Pics?
LB1.jpg LB3.jpg

This is the normal purple. Earlier versions had a little more blue in them and werent as vibrant of a purple as yours is. A lot of places use the old stock photo of the LB with a more bluish handle which drives me crazy bc i actually want that color more than the current purple!

Also for EDCing LBs i recommend the hawkbill SE models. They destroy cardboard better than the regular PE models imo!

I've dyed a lot of yellow FRN to Orange using RIT dye. Can I dye this one "blue" and it will end up more of a "real" purple?

Uh... in all seriousness... are YOU trying to discuss about colors with a bunch of knife knuts? I am also somewhat colorblind, but even though I am a sucker for orange and yellow (visibility reasons) I couldn't care less about the tone of a certain handle color.

HOWEVER, all kidding aside, it is your money and if you want a different color, try to get a hold on the customer service of wherever you bought if from and try to send it back for a replacement (if they happen to have knives from from different batches) that suits you better.

Best of luck!

BTW, why go with such a small and expensive knife (for what it is) for a knife that it is going to be arround water risking being dropped? Wouldn't it make a tad more sense to get a budget knife even a fixed blade so you don't cry as much when you drop it (WHEN, not IF) and avoid the trouble of cleaning crap from inside the handle?

Top pic is the purple my delica was the bottom pic looks pink if they have changed their purple to that pink well the purple is no longer a color to consider for me.

Uh... in all seriousness... are YOU trying to discuss about colors with a bunch of knife knuts? I am also somewhat colorblind, but even though I am a sucker for orange and yellow (visibility reasons) I couldn't care less about the tone of a certain handle color.

HOWEVER, all kidding aside, it is your money and if you want a different color, try to get a hold on the customer service of wherever you bought if from and try to send it back for a replacement (if they happen to have knives from from different batches) that suits you better.

Best of luck!

BTW, why go with such a small and expensive knife (for what it is) for a knife that it is going to be arround water risking being dropped? Wouldn't it make a tad more sense to get a budget knife even a fixed blade so you don't cry as much when you drop it (WHEN, not IF) and avoid the trouble of cleaning crap from inside the handle?

Yep, I AM trying to discuss colors with a bunch of knifenuts. I have multiple colors of FRN and G10 and I'm looking for more to add in the future. I like to make my knives unique or at the very least have something besides boring black scales. I even mod my Vic's to be unique. Like canvas micarta, mammoth bones in resin with blue G10 spacers. I do a lot of custom scales just to make my knives different than stock.v1.jpg 155.jpg 301.jpg 703.jpg 700.jpg 834.jpg

I'd rather not hassle with sending back a $45.00 knife. I'll just dye it another color. I have royal blue in the shop so I'll try that when I get home I guess.

As far as dropping it, I've never lost one over board yet. Then again, I do keep my fishing pliers attached to me with a coiled lanyard for that very reason. LOL. Oh well, If I lose it, then I have a reason to but another one.

Top pic is the purple my delica was the bottom pic looks pink if they have changed their purple to that pink well the purple is no longer a color to consider for me.
Yep. It literally looks like a dark pink now.

Well I went home and dyed the Ladybug with Royal Blue Rit powder.

It now looks like a deep purple color but I'm a little color blind.

What say you?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Looks like lavender to me, which is still considered a purple. There are many nuances of the color purple. And I thought I was picky lol, you do seem to be having fun with it though. Nice work on the others too.

Looks like lavender to me, which is still considered a purple. There are many nuances of the color purple. And I thought I was picky lol, you do seem to be having fun with it though. Nice work on the others too.
So it looks like Lavender now or in the pics at the OP before I dyed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back