1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

UPDATE: "Working knife" recommendation. FOUND ONE.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Rancho5, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Rancho5

Rancho5

Feb 10, 2015
    Update: I decided not to cheap out so I got him a Spyderco Pacific Salt, yellow serrated, a Cold Steel Large Voyager Tanto, plain, a Sharpmaker because he says he has a bunch of dull knives, and for a "Sunday go-to-meetings" knife, a Kershaw stainless leek, plain.

Thanks for all your help!

I enjoy giving knives as gifts, so I'd like a recommendation.

He's a working man, works in a machine shop. Works on cars and drives a motorcycle. I'd like the knife to be sub $100 so I can possibly buy him two different ones. It needs to be tough, preferably NOT a liner lock but rather a frame lock or as strong or stronger, assisted opening would be nice so he can use it with one hand. Lifetime sharpening and service would be a huge plus. He's never expressed a preference so I don't think tanto or clip, etc, matters. I think plain edge would be best.

Maybe some of the higher end American made Kershaws?

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. hatchettjack

hatchettjack

Aug 4, 2015
    A benchmade griptilian with a d2 blade and a cold steel Espada would be a good combo!

3. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    H&K 14715, Buck 830 Marksman, Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight, Cold Steel Recon 1 or Code 4.

4. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    You just described a Kershaw Blur.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Rancho5

Rancho5

Feb 10, 2015
    I love the blur but it's a liner lock. Kind of small for this guy too.

6. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    I immediately thought cold steel Recon 1 when you said working knife. I have one and love it. The thing about assisted opening is they aren't as one hand closing friendly as they are one hand opening, at least not for me. If you still want one you can't go wrong with the Kershaw Piston. Also look at the Benchamde Griptilian or other BMs.

7. erhodes

erhodes

Jan 30, 2012
    Got my brother in law, who is a mechanic, a cold steel recon 1 tanto and he loves it. Has held up through many things I would not put a knife through but has held up fantastic

8. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    This IS the kind of info that the guy wanted to hear... Yes, the other suggestions are also good. :)

9. exmaxima

exmaxima

Jan 30, 2006
    +1
    That is a manly knife

10. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    H&K 14715.

D2 steel, stainless liners, G10... It screams bike-riding-mechanic.

11. NG VI

NG VI

Feb 10, 2013
    The new HK Axis from Benchmade sounds perfect.

12. zippin44

zippin44

Aug 13, 2007
    Not sure if still available since I've been. Out of the knife arena for quite while. Benchmade Harley Davidson 13100 Mc Henry Hardtail Axis Lock. D2,classic blade shape. Came in 2 sizes. Flicks open like butter and lock is bombproof. Has a Harley insignia on the scale. I have both sizes. Excellent high quality knife. Prob more than $100 these days but totally worth it.

13. Ultrasport05

Ultrasport05

Oct 23, 2015
    What about a Kershaw Launch 1? I know it's an auto and not a frame lock but using it one handed would be easy. Aluminum scales, good steel and made in the USA for under $100.

14. Rapt_up

Rapt_up Gold Member Gold Member

May 4, 2012
    A second hand Benchmade 710 fits the bill and should be around $100 in D2. Larger size. a ZT0300 (family 0300, 0301, 0302 etc) will take everything under the sun, but its not $100, and I found the blade less versatile because of the depth top to bottom.

Personally I like the Kershaws for $$ value a Blur is a great "work knife" The tanto gives a nice straight "chisel" to use but the tip is more acute so more likely to be broken off. but you could almost get two for $100. If they are likely to be abused that might be a better choice.

If he really needs a tool. consider a good Leatherman (I like the Surge, sold, beefy and good tools all of which are almost as good as the purpose specific one tools they replace.) They also have reasonable knife blades on them.

You might also consider a sturdy EDC fixed blade. Lots of good choices here too many sub $100.

I have lately been carrying Spyderco farid K2... Not sub $100, but a good hefty folder, with excellent slicing power... but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone likely to try prying etc with it.

15. vanslem6

vanslem6

Oct 4, 2014
    Manix?

[​IMG]

I know it ignores some of the criteria, but I really dig them. :D

16. TravisH

TravisH Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Just picked up a CS Recon 1 Spear Point in XHP off the Exchange. A beast of a knife. I can open it smoothly one-handed. Closing it smoothly one-handed is going to take more practice. ;)

[​IMG]

17. SpydrMan

SpydrMan

Jul 20, 2014
    Manix 2 and a Kershaw Cryo 2. This way he has one nicer blade and another one to beat on.

18. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I'll second the recommendation of the Kershaw Blur, or HK/Benchmade Axis (14715). Both are very different knives, but both similar size and good choices for working blades. Because of the D2 blade and non-assisted on the HK, it would probably be my first choice. But both good for first workers.

In my pic, the tan on middle left is the blur, and the black coffin just above is the Axis.

[​IMG]

19. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I like some of the suggestions given. Let me add a few.
    1] Cold Steel American Lawman (practical and tough)
    2] Spyderco Manix 2 (regular version)
    3] Benchmade Ritter Griptilian (orange or black. Only at Knifeworks)

20. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    The Spyderco Salt knives are the toughest knives I own. I have hard used them in very harsh work environments (every day) for years now and have never so much as made one squeal. The H1 steel is exceptionally tough and is 100% corrosion proof. In fact, the entire knife is completely rust proof. I often come in and just throw mine in the sink, covered with blood and salt and leave them there all night until I put it in my waistband again the next day. They are also lightweight, and edge retention (on the serrated versions) is outstanding too. These are some of the best work knives being made right now IMO. And for $100 you can almost get a serrated Pacific Salt and a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Sharpening, even on the serrated models, is an absolute breeze with the sharpmaker. There have been some other great suggestions in this thread but this is mine.

[​IMG]