Updated for 2nd Field Knife: First Impressions and quick review (fixed font issues)

This is my second set of first impressions and mini review for a knife from CPK. My first was a week or so ago and covered the Light Chopper (LC).

I’ve been really looking forward to getting out and using the Field Knife (FK) since I tend to use smaller knives and do more fine work than anything else. I got a chance to go out and use the Field Knife in the woods for a while. I was planning to do a lot more work than I did but ended up stopping earlier than I had planned based on what I was seeing and experiencing during use. Not going to spoil it!

I’ve written a few reviews for other knives and usually put them through similar tasks to keep things on equal ground. I’ve always made sure to be open and honest calling out the negative and positive with equal attention. I may even pay a little more attention to the negative aspects of a knife since those have the potential to make or break a user’s perspective on a given blade. If you read my LC or other reviews you can see many examples where I point out issues with fit and finish, ergonomics, edge retention, ease of sharpening, etc. I’m bringing this up to show that I am NOT a fanboy in any sense.

First Impressions on Unboxing:
When I opened the FK it was about what I expected in size, shape and weight. There were a couple of things I was not expecting.

First, the fit and finish. I’ve been using Survive! Knives as a benchmark. Guy puts together a damn fine knife! The Light Chopper I received was put together pretty well but wasn’t quite on the same level. No big deal. It’s not trying to be that kind of knife. The FK is a different story. It is pretty close to the benchmark. The handle scales and blade are perfectly matched. The texture, besides being awesomely grippy, is extremely well done. I was expecting the fit and finish to be on par with the LC but this is better!

The second unexpected aspect was where the balance point is located. Justin Fournier also noticed this and talked about this in his thread “My thoughts on the Field Knife” (you should read that if you haven’t). The knife balances a little further back than any of the other smaller (4” to 6”) knives I own and use. It balances just behind the first finger. It makes the knife sit comfortably in the hand. It’s not a bad thing, it just feels a little different. It took a little time handling and fondling it, but I actually like it! The blade feels really nimble.

The handle is great. Regardless of how I grip the knife, it feels really locked in. The palm swell never feels too “full” which I really appreciate! I mentioned the texture earlier and I will say again that it adds a little “something” to it. Well done!

Speaking of gripping the knife. In my LC review I pointed out the finger guard was unpleasant right from the start. When using hammer grip I the point of the finger guard would gouge into my knuckle and would hurt. A lot. The FK has the same style of finger guard so I fully expected it to stab my knuckle in the same way. Which brings up unexpected item number three. The finger guard is not an issue on the FK at all! The shape of the handle and forward finger placement keeps my knuckle from pressing too hard into the guard (hey, that rhymed!). Even a tight hammer grip is safe and comfortable. Awesome!!!

I love the minimal sheath! It leaves the perfect amount of handle uncovered and the multi-directional clip is sturdy and well made. Fantastic!

I had to laugh at the “finger choil” on the blade! I know it’s really a sharpening choil but it’s shaped like a finger choil...for a spider monkey! It’s so small and cute!

My only complaint on unboxing was the pommel. The type of tasks I’ve been doing involve a lot of “chiseling” with the knife. If you read my other threads you’ll know what I mean. You’ll see some examples below as well. This involves firmly tapping the pommel of the knife with my palm to shave layers or remove high spots in the wood. Yeah, NOT comfortable with the FK pommel. Spoiler: After using the knife it remains a complaint. I’ve figured out a work around but it isn’t as smooth as a flat pommel would be. I wish the knife came with a flat pommel. But that is a personal thing and others may like the shape.

First Use:
I took the FK out to the woods to do some work on a shelter I’ve experimenting with. It’s the “go to” project when I get new blades and want to see how well a knife fits me and my style. My companions were my Gomboy saw, my LC and the new FK. My plan was to put some lower cross beams on a frame I’d previously started. This would involve creating squared notched sections on each of four posts about 12” off the ground. Then cut the ends of the cross beams to fit in the notches on the posts and also lock over each other. But I never made it to the cross members. I stopped after cutting the squared notched sections and cleaning up some other notches I’d previously done with a different knife. What I was seeing during use was completely unexpected and the impact was enough to make me want to write it up and share it sooner rather than later. It’s something I think other Blade Forum members would be interested in.

I’d usually go through all the details and do a summary at the end. The suspense is too much so I’ll summarize first and then show all the photos and go into the details...probably in a follow up post. I may not get to it until tomorrow though.

I first heard about the Delta 3V in a different knife maker forum and was impressed by what I heard and saw in videos. It lead to my order for the Light Chopper. My experiences with the LC were pretty dang good so I thought I’d add a Field Knife to my toolbox and see how it fared. The FK is thinner than other knives I have in that size category with a sharper edge angle. Normally, this would be a concern with the types of tasks I do with smaller knives. But hey! This is Delta 3V! Shouldn’t it hold up better? Yeah. It should…

The tasks are hard on a knife. There is a lot of twisting and prying and chiseling and shaving and scraping. It takes a toll on an edge. The knives I’ve reviewed using these tasks in the past usually hold up really well but lose a little of that crisp edge. They will still do the tasks but not as cleanly as when they are freshly sharpened. They’ll still cut paper (maybe not push cut) and they still MIGHT shave arm hair but probably not the full length of the blade. The point at which I stopped with the FK would be consistent with where I might notice other knives losing that crispness. Based on the the videos and such for the Delta 3V I was kind of expecting it to do a little better. Well, it didn’t.

It Did So Much Effing Better! Like, holy shiitake mushroom better! I was so surprised and shocked I had to rush home to share my excitement. I was not gentle with the FK! I was twisting the blade to nick out pieces of wood. I’d shave off high spots to the edge of the notch and then use the knife edge to scrape sideways to smooth out the angles. I scraped off dirty and/or wet muddy bark. I kept expecting to have to start working a just a little harder and more carefully to get the notches just right. But I never had to! The FK just kept slicing through whatever I needed it to like butter. The tip kept chiseling and shaping effortlessly. I spent a lot of time using the FK like a wood plane and it kept shaving hair thin strips of wood.

The most surprising thing is that the edge appears to be completely unaffected by the use during the work I did. It will shave arm hair the full length of the blade. The tip will even still flick off single hairs. It will still push cut paper the entire length of the blade. I got the pics to prove it (the shaving, not the paper)! When I drag my fingernail or a piece of paper along the blade there isn’t a single point at which either “catch” on the edge.

This is AFTER all the work I did that should have affected the edge at least a little???

ntmG3oF.jpg

AJxtYDc.jpg

tYwnlJG.jpg

Holy. Jeebus. I did not expect it to perform this well and I am duly impressed. If you are looking for a smaller knife for general tasks and you can get your hands on an FK, do it. Seriously, don’t think about it. Don’t hesitate. Just do it. You will NOT be disappointed. I’ve been testing knives in this size range for a while, looking for the right combination of factors that would make a knife “the one”. I am certain the FK is that knife.

That statement is not given lightly!!!

Nate, Jo, Lorien: The Light Chopper is fantastic and I am glad I ordered one. The FK solidifies CPKs place in my mind as the first place I’ll go when looking for outdoor blades. Thank you for making products of this caliber!

‘Scissors

Last edited:
Thanks for the great review, well the initial part of it Scissors. I can see we share a lot of the same opinions on it.

One thing I was thinking about looking at the pommel is you can't really take the wedge completely off and leave much material before you would be into the lanyard hole, so perhaps, one could grind it off and leave a little stump, and smooth it out to make it suitable for your use. It might slightly alter the balance however.

Anyways, I look forward to the rest of your review, and am very happy to hear how good your results were. I am anxiously awaiting my user. I'll PM you.

Awesome review man.

I was really 50/50 on trying to decide whether or not to try snag a FK.
But yours & Justin's review, are serious making me tempted to say "screw you" to my fragile bank account and seek one out.

Enjoy the fk.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the review 'Scissors. Thanks for taking the time man :thumbup:

The second unexpected aspect was where the balance point is located. Justin Fournier also noticed this and talked about this in his thread “My thoughts on the Field Knife” (you should read that if you haven’t). The knife balances a little further back than any of the other smaller (4” to 6”) knives I own and use. It balances just behind the first finger. It makes the knife sit comfortably in the hand. It’s not a bad thing, it just feels a little different. It took a little time handling and fondling it, but I actually like it! The blade feels really nimble.

The balance point is one is one of my favorite aspects of the field knife. I don't like for a knife in this size to be blade heavy, at least not so blade heavy that it 'rolls' forward out of your hand in open grip. The balance on the field knife is dead on for me.

My only complaint on unboxing was the pommel. The type of tasks I’ve been doing involve a lot of “chiseling” with the knife. If you read my other threads you’ll know what I mean. You’ll see some examples below as well. This involves firmly tapping the pommel of the knife with my palm to shave layers or remove high spots in the wood. Yeah, NOT comfortable with the FK pommel. Spoiler: After using the knife it remains a complaint. I’ve figured out a work around but it isn’t as smooth as a flat pommel would be. I wish the knife came with a flat pommel. But that is a personal thing and others may like the shape.

I wondered if this would be an issue in your uses. Every once in awhile the pry on the pommel gouges me enough to consider modifying it, but it is so unique and well-executed as a pry that I probably never will. If Nate ever makes a run of 'pry-less' field knives, I would be in for one (or ten) :)

I'm looking forward to the rest of the review 'Scissors. Thanks for taking the time man :thumbup:

I second that; thank you Scissors.

The balance point is one is one of my favorite aspects of the field knife. I don't like for a knife in this size to be blade heavy, at least not so blade heavy that it 'rolls' forward out of your hand in open grip. The balance on the field knife is dead on for me.

With all the buzz about the balance of the FK around here, I'm anxious to feel in my hand!

I wondered if this would be an issue in your uses. Every once in awhile the pry on the pommel gouges me enough to consider modifying it, but it is so unique and well-executed as a pry that I probably never will. If Nate ever makes a run of 'pry-less' field knives, I would be in for one (or ten) :)

I've been wondering how my relationship with that pommel will go.

Last edited:
Yeah, the pommel is interesting. I can see uses for it. I think Nate or Lorien said something in response to Justin's thread about using it for striking a fire rod. I could see using it to crush things like maybe bone to get to the marrow...if you're into that kind of thing. But I'm not sure it would be good for prying. If you were able to get that wedged under something to pry, in order to get leverage you'd have to push down on the blade? Doesn't sound good.

I'd love to get some input from Nate, Jo or Lorien and what the full intentions were/are.

Justin pointed out (and I agree) that it would be hard to modify to make less stabby. You'd lose a lot of material that makes up the lanyard hole. You could round it a bit but it would still probably be hurtful to pound on. Like I said, I figured out a work around so it's ok.

If you were able to get that wedged under something to pry, in order to get leverage you'd have to push down on the blade? Doesn't sound good..

Given how sharp the blade is, if I had to really get after something with the pry, I'd pull the sheath off my belt and use it while the blade is covered. It's giving me a shiver to think of slipping with it otherwise.

Given how sharp the blade is, if I had to really get after something with the pry, I'd pull the sheath off my belt and use it while the blade is covered. It's giving me a shiver to think of slipping with it otherwise.

Yes, I like the sheath as blade cover too which is why I was trying to get one of the BB dangers that just velcro off. Not as nice as the leather but way easier. Tek-lok is always an option as well, which I use with a bunch of my kydex gun holsters, but on a way different belt. So I kinda want a modified LC dangler.

Yes, I like the sheath as blade cover too which is why I was trying to get one of the BB dangers that just velcro off. Not as nice as the leather but way easier. Tek-lok is always an option as well, which I use with a bunch of my kydex gun holsters, but on a way different belt. So I kinda want a modified LC dangler.

Hey JF, looks like i missed this for a couple days. Don't most of the leather danglers have snaps for removal? At least mine from sagewood does, and it comes off my belt much easier than a teklok.

Hmm good to know. Sagewood is not doing a sheath for the FK, and out of danglers but I'll keep an eye out for one.

I would prefer leather.

Do you happen to now how often they make the adapters?

No, I'm not sure about that Justin. And I don't think they make a field knife-specific dangler, but many of the versions built for S!K fit other builds. I'll go ask over in the sheath attachment thread on Guy's forum if anyone there might know if one of the sagewoods fit the field knife. We might have to do some measuring, but I'll bet one of their models will work, just a guess on my part so far though.

Medium or Small Dangler will fit
FwuKjoJ.jpg

Justin I just emailed you Brian from Sagewood gear contact he has something in stock that will work

(Sagewood requested a blank for the field knife from CPK , sheath in the works hopefully )

Last edited:
I designed that feature as a scraper/gouger/crusher.

The only thing I've pried with it is a beer bottle cap, and it works great for that.

The other use for it is for making sockets for bow powered survival type things like starting fires with sticks.

And yes, if you are going to use that feature, make sure the sheath is covering the blade!

Medium or Small Dangler will fit

Justin I just emailed you Brian from Sagewood gear contact he has something in stock that will work

(Sagewood requested a blank for the field knife from CPK , sheath in the works hopefully )

jj to the rescue! Thanks for the information sir. Glad to hear that sagewood requested a pattern blade also.

jj to the rescue! Thanks for the information sir. Glad to hear that sagewood requested a pattern blade also.

Yeah that is funny. I asked Brian and he said no. Then the next day he emailed me back and said he is likely getting a blank to make a pattern. Hahaha.

I'm also in for a Sagewood dangler in black leather for my FK. Please keep me posted what comes of this pursuit!

Just got my second FK with the G10 forest green G10 handles. This is my first knife from any manufacturer with G10. I've always opted for Micarta for the extra grippy-ness.

Why did I wait so long??? I love the texturing on these handles and how they feel.

The second knife is as good as the first. Those of you that are waiting for one from the pre-order thread will be happy. I hope you get them in your hands soon! Please post and let us all know how you like them as they arrive. And as you get the chance to use them.

Go forth and BUSHCRAAAAAAAAAFFFTT!!!!!

Have a pic of the forest green? I am curious as to see how it looks. I can't get over my black G10 addiction. My black G10 came today, it's superb, and my 5th black G10 FK.

Sure! Here you go!

The forest green kinda looks blue-green. Looks really good! Not sure if you can really tell, though.

Xtn10lt.jpg

I noticed something different and really cool. Where they etched the blade it looks bronze colored! Look closely at the "Carothers", "LA" and Delta 3V logos. Pretty neat!

lTRQvqV.jpg

Mpolcym.jpg

And the whole CPK clan! Good genes in this family.

xZjer7l.jpg

Yay! Liking all of this!

Back