UPDATED! ZT 0566 for $47.70, plus $105 Pimp Job! Oh yes!

One man's junk is another man's treasure as long as both parties are happy who cares.

Agreed!

Good for you. 0566 is awesome

Thank you, I definitely agree!

You do understand, of course, that you should start working on a XM-18, or my preference...CRK.
You did one heck of a job. You engineers really know how to build something...
Kudos to you.

Haha, thanks so much! I would love to work my way up to something of that value, but I honestly think I'd have to invest more (unless I kept trading up from this 0566, which isn't happening :D). I know exactly how I'd go about doing something like that, though! I may try it sometime. I appreciate the engineer comment, and I truly hope to live up to that soon. Somewhat related, I'm actually going to a Sandvik event soon, which perfectly ties in to my engineering background, my love for Kai, and my overall interest in knives :)

Well, what really matters is your opinion; if you are happy, then rock on.

Personally...... lets just say its not my cup of tea. What looked to be in mint condition is now..

Like i said, if you are happy.. ;)

Well, what really matters is your opinion; if you are happy, then rock on.

Personally...... lets just say its not my cup of tea. What looked to be in mint condition is now..

Like i said, if you are happy.. ;)

I appreciate your restrain, but could you clarify? I really do want completely honest feedback, even brutal if necessary. Tell me your honest opinions! Like I said earlier, I have my gripes about this pimp job. I would like to hear what you think as well. Either way, thanks for your response!

Lol. Looks battle ready. We certainly were not going for pretty, many are. This is just EDC ready. Enjoy. If you want to go to a satin finish in a few weeks just let me know.

Last edited:
Lol. Looks battle ready. We certainly were not going for pretty, many are. This is just EDC ready. Enjoy. If you want to go to a satin finish in a few weeks just let me know.

Thanks for everything, BellaBlades. I'll certainly be in touch!

Last edited:
I appreciate your restrain, but could you clarify? I really do want completely honest feedback, even brutal if necessary. Tell me your honest opinions! Like I said earlier, I have my gripes about this pimp job. I would like to hear what you think as well. Either way, thanks for your response!

Well, if i made a punch list-
1) I am not a fan of the color or overall look of the scale. Perhaps the pictures aren't the best, but it almost looks patchy. For my taste, a downgrade over what was there before.
2) I cant put a finger on it, but the blade finish just doesn't sit well for me. I get the clean look, but it ... feels perhaps rushed?

I dont want to disparage the maker.. just like i said, not my cup of tea..

I agree, its not as uniform as I get D2 or S30V or others. After being totally prepped and wiped down with alcohol. It was acid washed for two sets. 1 hour, stone wash. Then gone over with scotchbrite for evening up. Then done again once more. Then tumbled for 2 hours.
You can see a difference between the blade and the handle. Its in the steel and perhaps in my new etching solution.
We may go with satin finish later.

I think is looks so much better with the green and all the washed slabs. Also manual instead of assisted, also a good choice. It looks alot better than stock and far more contoured. Enjoy it man.

Take care BBK. What matters is what you like. Every knife is different and customized different. Its yours, it is what you wanted. And that is what matters most.
talk to you in a few weeks.

You should see what people say about kirinite when used for folks lol.

Last edited:

1) I am not a fan of the color or overall look of the scale. Perhaps the pictures aren't the best, but it almost looks patchy. For my taste, a downgrade over what was there before.
2) I cant put a finger on it, but the blade finish just doesn't sit well for me. I get the clean look, but it ... feels perhaps rushed?

On your comment about the scale-- I believe any patchiness could be attributed to the pictures, because they look absolutely beautiful in person. That is actually one of my favorite modifications, along with the lockside. The acid stonewash on the lockside came out beautifully subtle and uniform. As for your comments on the blade finish-- I tend to agree with you that it does not sit well with me either. As BellaBlades has explained to me (and in his comment in this thread), this finish may be harder to obtain with Elmax. No matter the reason, I hope the finish smooths out with time and usage. If not, I'll most likely be contacting BellaBlades to put a satin finish on the blade.

Thanks again for your input, as I always appreciate a second set of eyes.

I agree, its not as uniform as I get D2 or S30V or others. After being totally prepped and wiped down with alcohol. It was acid washed for two sets. 1 hour, stone wash. Then gone over with scotchbrite for evening up. Then done again once more. Then tumbled for 2 hours.
You can see a difference between the blade and the handle. Its in the steel and perhaps in my new etching solution.
We may go with satin finish later.

I think is looks so much better with the green and all the washed slabs. Also manual instead of assisted, also a good choice. It looks alot better than stock and far more contoured. Enjoy it man.

Take care BBK. What matters is what you like. Every knife is different and customized different. Its yours, it is what you wanted. And that is what matters most.
talk to you in a few weeks.

You should see what people say about kirinite when used for folks lol.

Thanks for the explanation, it really does clear things up. Like we decided, I'm going to live with it for a while and see how it matures with a bit of time and usage. I may be contacting you about that satin finish, but only time will tell!

Back