Upgrading grinder options

I’m looking to finally upgrade (4-5 years into this) from my cheap delta 4/36 benchtop belt sander to a 2x72.

so first thought was to just buy a shop fox 10” wheel belt grinder. Then I noticed my 8” delta double grinder has an variable speed motor that’s about a 1hp and turns at 3400rpm top end and as slow as I want it.

So questions before I spend 600$ on the fix speed shop fox is...

A. Will this motor work?
B. Does anyone know of a pre assembled grinder unit I can attach this motor to half easily that’s half decent for cheaper or roughly same price as the shop fox grinder? That way I can have the variable speed option. I like the idea of the 10” fly wheel and still need a platen.

A. Will this motor work?
Since you don't give any info on the motor it's going to be hard to tell if motor will work. I just did a search on "8” delta double grinder" and that looks like it might be a benchtop grinder with a double shaft? If so, not what you're looking for. You will want a 3ph motor of 56C type, or at least base mount depending on grinder frame you chose. It sounds like budget might be an issue, so you might wish to look at the ironhorse motors, https://tinyurl.com/spbwf4r for a new 2 hp 3 ph motor for $165 shipped. Then use a Chinese VFD for $70 or so and you're in business. Be sure to put air inlet filters to prevent metal grinding dust from getting inside enclosure, or mount in dust proof box. OR, best choice if money is no object is to order a 27D NEMA 4X VFD for.... not sure but seems like it's around $360 or so, maybe plus shipping?

Order a Reeder chassis for $600: https://reederproducts.com/shop?olsPage=products/rps101-grinder-chassis
add in the required wheels, motor, & VFD for for around $1,000 you've got a top of line 2X72 grinder.

If you could build one you would save big time
A kmg clone is very easy to make

I have a TW-90, KMG clone, and a Brodbeck Ironworks grinder, all with VFD and the TW 90 is a clear leader but for the money the Brodbeck is a good kit grinder.

Northridge makes the Mod E grinder that just needs a motor IIRC. It's just under $500 shipped. If you shop around, you can find a chinese VFD for less than $100, and a surplus/used 3 phase for anywhere from $50 to $100. That should get you pretty close to the shop fox price and give you a more expandable/versatile grinder that you can buy or build accessories for as need and funds allow.

Back