1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Upgrading my sharpening system. Japanese combo stone grits?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by BIG45-70, Oct 19, 2013.

1. BIG45-70

BIG45-70

Aug 29, 2010
    So I've decided to invest a little money an improve my sharpening kit.

Right now I have a cheap big box store combo stone, falkniven DC3, and triangular pocket sharpener (for my serrated blade)

With this setup I can pop hairs off my arm with every knife I own, but want to get to the next level with that beautiful polished edge the higher grits seem to achieve.

I was wondering what kind of combo stone I should look at. As of the moment I've been looking at a 1000/4000 and a 1200/8000. I have around 100 bucks to spend and was thinking about one goods stone. The other option I was looking at was DMT's the diamond stone set, x-fine, fine and course. Just looking for some reccomendations.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    The Norton 4k/8k combo might be a good choice. Makes a very polished edge and still has good feedback.

3. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    Arashiyama 1k and 6k

4. OldNavy

OldNavy

Sep 14, 2013