1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Uplander's AK Field Test

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Uplander, May 2, 2007.

1. Uplander

Uplander

Apr 18, 2007
    Guys,
    Took a medium distance hike today with my new 15" Ang Khola to a couple places I sometimes deer hunt. I could feel the weight on my hip but wasn't burdened by it, need to have a separate belt for it tho cause it dragged my pants down some. Cut down a bunch of ash & maple saplings & stashed them off the ground for later use as blind material. The AK is definately a chopper! Once I got a feel for the sweet spot, a good stroke would penetrate 1/2 to 3/4 of the blade width. 10-12 swings would bring down a 3" thick ash. I was concerned the ring & pommel flair might be uncomfortable but in use they weren't noticable, in fact they secured so well that I can probably ease up on my grip a little. At the end, the high polish had suffered some but the edge felt as sharp as when I started. Conclusion: it's ideal for my purposes.
    Compact enough to carry conveniently, big & tough enough to do what I want to do & as Gallagher would say," It's got STYYYYYYLE!!!"

Uplander

2. Nasty

Nasty Chief Cook & Bottle Wash

Nov 11, 2003
    :) I remember my first experiments...these things *are* awesome, eh?

3. Wolf_1989

Wolf_1989

Mar 30, 2007
    0nce you get in some more practice, that 3" thick ash will be cut in 1 - 3 swings.

4. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    Feels good to take them out and use them. The handles always surprise me - there are all these points and projections that would seem to be uncomfortable, but it just ends up being really secure. I suppose the newari have had plenty of time to refine it.

I find a good pistol belt works well for khuks. I have one from The Wilderness that's well-built and American made.

Thanks for the review.

5. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Good that I'm not the kind of guy to say "I told you so," isn't it?

Now, baton-ing. Expand your horizons wid a stick. :D

6. Mike L.

Mike L.

Aug 19, 1999
    Good job. If you think the AK chops nicely, try a BGRS.
    I have recently been working with one I purchased years ago.
    Now I regret hanging it on the wall for so long.
    HI khuks are good tools. And the more you use them, the better they get.

--Mike L.