How do I? Upload a file.

I know how to actually upload a file, but when I try to, it says “We have had trouble uploading your file” or something along those lines.

Is there a size limit? Or is it just my bad WiFi kicking in?

I know how to actually upload a file, but when I try to, it says “We have had trouble uploading your file” or something along those lines.

Is there a size limit? Or is it just my bad WiFi kicking in?

At one point the limit was 500k, but I just tried an 800k image and it seemed to work, but a 1.2M image didn't (says "The uploaded file is too large"), so guessing they may have upped the limit to 1M.

If you're getting a different error message, then the file size may not be the problem.

Ok, along the same lines... is there a "tech" Moderator on here that could better answer my questions?

I am wanting to upload a photo i took of one of my knives, as my avatar. What is the size limit? Is there a size limit?

Ok, along the same lines... is there a "tech" Moderator on here that could better answer my questions?

I am wanting to upload a photo i took of one of my knives, as my avatar. What is the size limit? Is there a size limit?

We don't have a "tech" moderator, I spend the most time in the Tech Support subforum of the supers but it's not my assignment or anything.

Here's what I found from the mouth of the site owner, first one from 2 years ago and second one from 9 months ago:

Here's the deal folks - We ran through 80gb of server storage space in 8 months and my hosting company informed me that we were about to run out of server space altogether. I went and looked in the configuration and for some reason the quota system was turned off, as long as file sizes.

The max file size is now 500kb for photos, and dimensions are 1600x1600. If your photo is larger than that, optimize it - there's no reason for a photo to be bigger than that.

Really everyone should be using the media gallery - that's what it's there for.

@David Sun - the software will automatically resize avatars depending on the size of the user's screen. The largest size avatar is 192x192, but for most screens it'll be reduced to 96x96, and for small phones it'll be 48x48.

Max avatar file size is 148k IIRC

I use Imgur for image hosting, never need to resize any images if you don't upload the files directly to BF anyway.

So no, I don't.
Does it put any strain on the servers when you use imgur?
It's what I do 95% of the time, because my pictures are to big anyway.

PheonixKingZ PheonixKingZ , use imgur. Incredibly easy with the mobile-app.

Does it put any strain on the servers when you use imgur?
It's what I do 95% of the time, because my pictures are to big anyway.

PheonixKingZ PheonixKingZ , use imgur. Incredibly easy with the mobile-app.

No, the image's data is hosted on another server entirely, not related to BF, so all BF is doing is querying Imgur's server for the image data and displaying that instead. No storage on BF needed, just a single query line.

Ok, i found free resizer, and it works perfect! I was able to change my avatar. :)

I will look into imgur - seems like it has a lot of... other stuff in it.

No, the image's data is hosted on another server entirely, not related to BF, so all BF is doing is querying Imgur's server for the image data and displaying that instead. No storage on BF needed, just a single query line.
Cool. Then I'll keep doing that.

Ok, good. I haven’t quite figured out how to copy the URL and then paste it here, but I will figure it out sooner or later. ;)

Ok, good. I haven’t quite figured out how to copy the URL and then paste it here, but I will figure it out sooner or later. ;)
For the forum software to process it properly, you need the web address of the picture file ending in either jpg or gif.

Go to the photo you want to post in your photostream on the Flickr website, click on the turn arrow icon.
The box has four options (share, embed, email, BBCode). You want to copy the “BBCode” link.
On the forum, in your reply box, just paste the “BBCode” in the box, do not use the image icon in the taskbar.

FBE26413-9578-4479-A00E-5E120329E1CF by PheonixKingZ ., on Flickr

Back