Recommendation? Urban / hybrid bike?

I'm in the market for a hybrid / urban bike. I haven't biked in a long while and I have no idea what's good. I visited my local REI and they have Cannondale and Co-op brands. The Cannondale Bad Boy 1 looks very cool but I think I might not want the internal gear / belt transmission (because I may want to also buy a Wahoo Kickr trainer on which to set up the bike). I'm willing to pay premium prices for premium quality, within limits (I don't need a custom, made to order frame).

Take a look at Surly. I have 3 of them ,a Custom Long Haul Trucker , a Flat bar Cross Check and a Steamroller

Go to a real bike store. Proper fit use and price are important. REI is the last place I would shop. Worked in a bike shop in my younger days and yes there is a difference.
John đź‘Ť

Bike shops will be the next stop. First, I want to understand the bike brands without being limited by what a given shop has on inventory.

Last edited:
Well, in the last few days I spent a lot of time researching various options. Once I had narrowed my options (to BC, Ogre, or DT) it proved nearly impossible to find any of those. I was thinking about getting a naked frame and building the bike (but the frame sets and components are also hard to find). Finally I was able to find my top choice in a shop in Bend, OR (I'm in Seattle). It's a shop-built Disc Trucker with 650b wheels, and they agreed to ship it to me. It should arrive to me early next week. I'm super excited.

SurlyDiscTruckerSmall.jpg

Last edited:
Well, in the last few days I spent a lot of time researching various options. Once I had narrowed my options (to BC, Ogre, or DT) it proved nearly impossible to find any of those. I was thinking about getting a naked frame and building the bike (but the frame sets and components are also hard to find). Finally I was able to find my top choice in a shop in Bend, OR (I'm in Seattle). It's a shop-built Disc Trucker with 650b wheels, and they agreed to ship it to me. It should arrive to me early next week. I'm super excited.

View attachment 1627313
You won't regret it. I have a 2008 Long Haul Trucker that was built in 2012. I Had been buying parts to build up a Long Haul Trucker when my job went away. I was disappointed because 2008 was the last year for the olive green color for the trucker . Fast forward to 2012 I had moved to get decent work and was back on my feet . I had bought a like new Surly Steamroller. I was in a bike shop to buy a new single speed cog to change the gearing a little on the new bike . They shop mentioned they have a Trucker frame they would make me a deal on since they have had it for a while. It was a 2008 olive green frame . The shop worked with me using the parts I had and selling me the needed parts to finish the bike . I ended up with about $900 in the bike which is a steal. I have probably 5K miles on it . I haven't been able to ride much in the past couple years . In 17 I was 55 , I'm 5' 11" weigh 310 I made 5 rides that were from 45 to 64 miles I rode twice a week 8-10 miles and usually rode 20 plus miles on the weekend . Anytime I plan on going more than 20 miles my Trucker is the bike I take.

Back