USA made Rat?

If the Rat Models were made in the USA with an equivalent steel or a little better such as 154CM, D2, any of the CPM series how much would the price increase. With obvious increase with knife steel but if an equal steel (440C) was used how much would the increase be. I would love a rat folder but I'm trying to only buy USA from here on, though I know it'll probably never happen but it just got me curious.

Is there anyway to calculate this?

This might make a good "Ask Toooj," but I can tell you that it would probably be prohibitive. We're kind of in the same position you are: we'd like to do our manufacturing in the USA, but some items just don't work as well as others to make here. We'll keep keep making everything we can in the USA, but the RAT folders are unlikely.

@ highestpoint: I try to buy USA only also but will buy Taiwan-made too. Hey, at least Taiwan is a US ally. They fought on our side in Vietnam and also in the Korean War. Taiwan is not communist, if that makes you feel better about it. The RAT 1 is so well made that I doubt that American factories could do it any better.

@ highestpoint: I try to buy USA only also but will buy Taiwan-made too. Hey, at least Taiwan is a US ally. They fought on our side in Vietnam and also in the Korean War. Taiwan is not communist, if that makes you feel better about it. The RAT 1 is so well made that I doubt that American factories could do it any better.
I completely understand but I never said Ill never buy anything made outside the USA but was just curious if there was any thought about the already excellent rat folders in a different/ USA made steel.

To me it basically boils down to myself not being a big fan of aus 8. I would gladly pay an extra couple of dollars for the same quality but with a better steel even made outside the states.

Just ultimately wondering if it would be worth the money for the profit on supply and demand. & if they would sell more or less. I know they're great knives and that they have many followers as one member on here posted that he sold all of his Benchmade and other brands and kept one knife. His rat folder.

If they made 'em in a super steel, they'd probably still do it in Taiwan. I would guess that labor costs in Taiwan are only 1/3 of what they are in USA. And labor costs would be a lot more important than the additional cost of better steels. But I'm just talking out of my ass here. The easiest way to estimate what the price would be is to research prices for similar knives by other companies in super steel, and you'll have your answer. For me, I wouldn't pay $150-350 for a folder, no matter what super steel it was made of.

If they made 'em in a super steel, they'd probably still do it in Taiwan. I would guess that labor costs in Taiwan are only 1/3 of what they are in USA. And labor costs would be a lot more important than the additional cost of better steels. But I'm just talking out of my ass here. The easiest way to estimate what the price would be is to research prices for similar knives by other companies in super steel, and you'll have your answer. For me, I wouldn't pay $150-350 for a folder, no matter what super steel it was made of.
But I'm not talking a super steel. Even if they went with 154cm they could probably sell it for 65-85 or CTS-XXX for 75+ but I don't keep up with market prices on steel. Compared to the prices it would take to manufacture the same in the US

It would definitely be easier to just use different steel in the existing factory. That's actually been done before, but finding them would be something of a quest at this point. I wouldn't even be able to get my hands on them.

It would definitely be easier to just use different steel in the existing factory. That's actually been done before, but finding them would be something of a quest at this point. I wouldn't even be able to get my hands on them.
Or even an already existing 1095. I think that would be a very unique folder that I would be very tempted to buy.

By no means think that I'm trying to sound objective towards the company just having a discussion lol

Are you saying that a different steel was used at the overseas factory or the one here stateside? Plus if the steels were imported to Taiwan and then exported to the US, that would take a toll on revenue

...Plus if the steels were imported to Taiwan and then exported to the US, that would take a toll on revenue

Not to derail the thread, but It's my understanding this is exactly what Spyderco does with many folders made in their Taichung, Taiwan facility. US made S30v, CTS-XHP, etc. blades shipped to Taiwan...assembled/tuned and shipped back as Sages, Technos, etc.

Not to derail the thread, but It's my understanding this is exactly what Spyderco does with many folders made in their Taichung, Taiwan facility. US made S30v, CTS-XHP, etc. blades shipped to Taiwan...assembled/tuned and shipped back as Sages, Technos, etc.
Hmm rhat's some nice food for thought.

Cold Steel also began doing this with their folders this year. Shipping CTS-BD1 and CTS-XHP over to Taiwan. However, to my knowledge, the raw steel is being shipped over to Taiwan and the blades produced over there.

Cold Steel also began doing this with their folders this year. Shipping CTS-BD1 and CTS-XHP over to Taiwan. However, to my knowledge, the raw steel is being shipped over to Taiwan and the blades produced over there.
I think that's why I heard the ht wasn't totally up to par

Or even an already existing 1095. I think that would be a very unique folder that I would be very tempted to buy.

Unique, yes, better, no. 1095 blade on folder like RAT-1 would be downgrade. Edge retention wouldn't be as good and it would stain. You couldn't make use of only advantage 1095 has, its toughness, because blade is not the weakest point.

Unique, yes, better, no. 1095 blade on folder like RAT-1 would be downgrade. Edge retention wouldn't be as good and it would stain. You couldn't make use of only advantage 1095 has, its toughness, because blade is not the weakest point.
I would take 1095 over aus 8 any day of the week. I'm not even a huge fan of 1095 either but there are plenty of people with traditionals that fair quite well with the steel. I know it's not exactly what they advertise the folder as now but it was just a mention that I would like to see it in a different steel, possibly an American steel

If the Rat Models were made in the USA with an equivalent steel or a little better such as 154CM, D2, any of the CPM series how much would the price increase. With obvious increase with knife steel but if an equal steel (440C) was used how much would the increase be. I would love a rat folder but I'm trying to only buy USA from here on, though I know it'll probably never happen but it just got me curious.

Is there anyway to calculate this?

I believe the discontinued Ontario Hossom Retribution might be as close as you are going to get to an American made RAT folder.

I would take a us made one in any steel, even 420hc.
It would be a great budget (American) Kershaw competitor!
Or if it were fancier, a zt competitor!

I was just in NY for a week, and wanted to visit Ontario, but the factory is too far away :,(

I believe the discontinued Ontario Hossom Retribution might be as close as you are going to get to an American made RAT folder.

Wasnt that made in Italy?

Dear OKC,

Please make a RAT1 in cmp154. Dont change anything else, and street price them around $50 or $60 and you will sell a bazillion of them.

Back