Usable blade length

As I acquire more knives, I feel I need to get more creative in justifying each purchase, as if each new knife should offer something functionally not found in those I currently own, or at least possess a unique combination of useful features. Or so I tell my wife. The features I value most are how easy to carry a knife is, how well it feels in my hand, how good a slicer it is, and the usable blade length. Blade length also is relevant to certain rules and restrictions I may face, depending on where in my community I go, so a little variety in blade length is good. I also appreciate variety in handle materials and steels. I may perceive one knife as my "gentleman's carry" and another my hard use camping knife, but the above are the characteristics that most influence my opinion of a prospective knife.

The usable blade length is a concept I employ, but I don't know if this is just my own idiosyncrasy or whether others think the same way. I like to use a "Filipino" saber grip when I need to grip a knife firmly, with the thumb on the spine of the blade. In this grip, I consider the "usable blade length" that portion of the cutting edge from the tip of the blade to the point on the cutting edge immediately across from the tip of my thumb on the blade spine. If I'm slicing through something with my thumb on the blade spine, I don't want my thumb to come in contact with it, so that limits the length of the blade that's useful. Does that make sense?

I used to focus on the length of the cutting edge as the critical blade length, until I realized the above limitation on what portion of the blade may be useful – at least for certain tasks. The cutting edge length on my SpydieChef and that of my ZT 0609 are almost identical at about 3.3 inches. I thought of them both as having a slightly longer usable blade than my PM2, which has a cutting edge of about 3.1 inches. However, as described above the usable blade length of these knives is 2.6 inches for the SpydieChef, 2.7 inches for the 0609, and 3.1 inches for the PM2. I can essentially use all the PM2's cutting edge due to where my thumb rests, behind the point where the cutting edge starts. The PM2 has a longer handle, so that may make sense.

I guess I'm looking for validation of this concept because I'll find it easier then to rationalize the purchase of a certain knife I have my eye on buying. I welcome any enabling you may provide.

V8hgbrq.jpg

I absolutely agree with this, I also relate this to cutting food with a pocket knife when I go hiking. I do not want any hardware (thumb studs or even spidy hole) other than the blade portion to touch my food. I always felt that a 3in cutting edge was perfect so I bought 3in blades but later realized that I should be buying 3.5 inch blades to have the right amount of usable cutting edge that I preferred.

So go ahead, make that purchase, it’s rational.

I'm all in favour of more cutting edge ! The more, the better... Buy that new knife ! You may eventually realize (like I did) that small (but well conceived !) knives can outcut the big meanies, in terms of utility.

Usable blade length is certainly a useful point in evaluating a knife. Many online retailers will show both the blade length and the cutting edge length. It is not something I get all hung up about as the feel in my hand is more important to me. But I generally buy folders with 3.0" > 3.25" blades these days and generally don't seriously consider anything longer except in a fixed blade for general woods use. So the Spydie PM2 and Police models are generally not seriously considered if I am looking to buy a new knife. The PM3 would be in the running. The last several modern knives I have purchased fall into my blade length range. Essentially I am comfortable with the "Delica size" for regular carry.

Sometimes you have to experiment with different tools to determine which one will come the closest to performing the most tasks. One size screwdriver doesn’t do it all. At times the little stubby is the only one that will work. The same goes for knives, most of the time a standard size blade will do what you need for most tasks. But there comes those infrequent times when a longer or shorter blade is more suitable for the task.
That’s my justification for having more knives than I’ll ever use. Plus it’s just fun to have different knives.

Sometimes you have to experiment with different tools to determine which one will come the closest to performing the most tasks. One size screwdriver doesn’t do it all. At times the little stubby is the only one that will work. The same goes for knives, most of the time a standard size blade will do what you need for most tasks. But there comes those infrequent times when a longer or shorter blade is more suitable for the task.
I agree that you probably don't immediately know what blade length makes the most sense to you in a folder. If there is a legal blade limit, you probably start there. In my state, it used to be 3.5". So, some experimentation is in order. I purchased a Spyderco Endura (actually several) and don't use them often. But I carry one of them in my work bag for tasks that a slightly longer blade works better. Same approach with screw drivers, pliers, and other tools.

You’re not crazy, because we’re all crazy here haha

1. If I’m understanding this correctly, you use all of the knife except for the 1/10th of the knife where you are resting your thumb so it wouldn’t touch the material you’re cutting. (For most knives where the thumbs rest over the cutting edge)
If I’m right, then go for the bigger blade. Or continue buying blades where your thumb is behind the cutting edge (like the PM2)
Are you also looking at the blade height? Or does that not matter to you?

2. I go for the saber grip first, and then the Filipino grip when I’m doing ‘detail’ cutting. You’re definitely right about that thumb, although I just take a couple of extra cuts instead of letting my thumb hit.

3. I’m anal about handle length, if my pinkie can rest on the handle, even if it barely makes it, then it’s all good by me. The mini grip just doesn’t do it for me because of that, and i will probably go for the bugout instead

Back