USAF survival knife photo thread

Discussion in 'Ontario Knife Company' started by LG&M, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    So the OKC “499” is mil-spec for the USAF? Pilots mostly pay for their gear, at least the officers would. I know the 498 has heavy black paint on the leather handle, which among other details makes it mil-spec, issued to or at least called the “marine combat utility.” Yet what I hear is that in the Army, fixed blade knives over 3” are prohibited in at least one infantry battalion in Afghanistan. The member did not state which one, of course, probably not wanting to risk punishment on next assignment.

TonySal likes this.
  2. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    At the time MIL-K-8662 was written it would apply to all branches of the service. The task for writing this specific specification was actually assigned to a group from the Navy. While the majority of these knives would have been distributed to Navy and Air Force pilots, they found there way to individuals through out the different services. Some military historians feel that the JPSK was the most common fixed blade knife used by special forces personal during Vietnam. In my collection I have pictures of these knives worn by a variety of combat ground troops from medics, infantry, also ARVIN solders.
    As far as I know the Ontario 499 is still made to comply with the military specification. The Government has been going away from military specific specifications to something more generic. The original MIL-K-8662 was rewritten to SAE- AS8662 close to twenty years ago now. Just because a specification exists doesn't mean the Government is actively stocking said items.

TonySal likes this.
  3. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    Apprently this knife was from a solider who served during the Vietnam conflict. Traded to an SAS solider during visits in Ireland during the IRA's terror regime. Someone had a go at making th sheath more decorative. :)

[​IMG][​IMG]

TonySal and LG&M like this.
  4. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    71008613-3538-4086-B9B7-9DEA29EF0249.jpeg I picked up a stainless example at a gun show.

jux t, TonySal, wildmanh and 2 others like this.
  5. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    I just gave mine a once over after reading back in this thread. My knife has no markings on it! How strange. Nothing on either side of the blade and nothing on any of the sides of the pommel..

The pommel is held in place by the peened tang and there is a metal spacer under the guard.

Any idea why? is it an old counterfit, a run of mass produced unmarked ones or simply just.. no idea??

TonySal likes this.
  6. caine

caine

Nov 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

LG&M and TonySal like this.
  7. smitty44

smitty44

Dec 31, 2006

8. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    @Toooj would have the best answer.
    Got a picture ?

TonySal likes this.
  9. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    Most likely a copy made overseas. They were imported here and also available overseas. While many of them did have stampings with the makers name or just the country of origin, usually Japan, some were not marked. Hard to say without pictures. Also some knives that were made after the spec changed to marking the knives on the pommel are hard to read and if the knife is worn and/or corroded the marking can go away.

TonySal likes this.
  10. smitty44

smitty44

Dec 31, 2006

TonySal likes this.
  11. smitty44

smitty44

Dec 31, 2006
    Mine has the same date 1-1969 also, but has gray paint on the top.

TonySal likes this.
  12. zanussi01

zanussi01

Jan 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ontario 1989.I noticed the harness listed on the Ontario site is 50-55.
    Can anyone tell me if it was higher in the past and when the change was please?

13. zanussi01

zanussi01

Jan 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

Ontario 5-01. Picked this one up today.
    Unused,with a little staining on the factory edge and the guard is a little loose.

14. zanussi01

zanussi01

Jan 3, 2012
    This is the above knife.Wasnt planning to rehandle it.
    After finding the leather washers at each end had dried and cracked I changed my mind.

[​IMG]

15. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    Well isn't that fancy, nice work.

Bill_Mead likes this.
  16. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I'm thinking of picking one up after reading this thread. (I'm easily influenced ;)) However, being that I'm a lefty, will the sheath work as well with the knife reversed for left hand carry?

17. Blue Sky

Blue Sky Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2002
    Yes it will.

TonySal likes this.
  18. stevekolt

Jan 9, 2007
    Come to papa...

TonySal likes this.
  19. stevekolt

Jan 9, 2007
    Ordered this AM, now I need to get something to treat the leather...

20. stevekolt

Jan 9, 2007
    Received it today, nice ergos. What should I get to treat the handle and sheath?

TonySal likes this.