Use for this knife?

I was given this knife by a friend who believes it was her fathers or grandfathers. She is about 68 years old. The Knife is made by International Edge Tool Company, Newark, New Jersey. The OAL is 18 3/4" - Handle is 6 3/8" and the spine is 3/16". I assume it is a butchers knife and was used for chopping. Any ideas or info.
Thanks,
Ron
RRP_0001-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Post over on Bernard Levine's forum, someone there will know what the knife is used for but I think you are probably correct. John

It is a lamb splitter. I don't think any one currently makes one but Russell-Harrington cataloged them up until maybe the 90's.

Hi Ron, Yep, SG is correct, it's a Lamb Splitter/Chopper. A very nice looking one I might ad.

I currently have two different makes of Lamb Splitters. One is a vintage NICHOLS BROS. : http://ralph1396.com/NCHlambSCREWSreNICE1.JPG

(Please note, in this borrowed photo the screws in the Slabs/Handles are NOT original to the Splitter. Mine is quite old and original and it has six pins.

My second Lamb Splitter looks very much (nearly identical) to my NICHOLS BROS. but it's markings are no longer able to be seen. I recently sent my second "Splitter"
to Jarrod of H&B Forge who is going to make new (original style) Slabs/Handles (which will be pinned). My second "Splitter" was purchased without handles from a Flea Market.
I look forward to seeing this "Splitter" after Jarrod does his magic! I plan to use the second Splitter for the Woods!

HARDBALL

Thanks for letting me know what type of knife it is. (lamb splitter)

Cleaned up the knife a bit. Put on a edge as when I got it, it was in bad shape nicks etc.
RRP_2-vi.jpg

I have one made by "Old File" that I used for butchering deer every year. Wish these were still in the Russell Cutlery line.

Have had mine for years, used on many racks of lamb (before they came with the chine bone off)

dexter_lambsplitter.jpg

I found a Russell Green River Lamb splitter at the OKCA show this month. It wasn't cheap but probably close to what they would cost if Russell still made them. Hope to put it to good use next deer season. It certainly is a longer, heavier knife than my Old File.

Back