Use this knife or save it?

Hi Guys, A folding knife was given to me many years ago and I put it in a "safe" place that I recently found. It is in a beautiful red felt lined wooden box that has the name MoorMans, the year 1990, and a bull engraved on the lid. The knife looks like a 4" bladed buck knife and it has a bull and the name Moorman engraved into the blade as well as "1 of 200 made, Moorman Manufacturing Company, 105th Anniversary, the year 1990 and made by Camillus,886,U.S.A." Really a nice looking knife. I was going to start using it but I thought I would check with you guys to see if I should just keep it in the box. What do you think? I would show pictures of the knife and box but I don't know how to enter then into this post.

Thanks in advance,
Andy R
P.S. can you tell me how to enter photos into this post?

andyrud, I hope you will post a picture of the 886. It sounds like it was made for the company, some gave them away as gifts for special reasons. I have a few 886's and I am always ready to see another.

as far as your question about use or save, I vote for save. You can get the same size knife made by Buck. As Camillus is out of business yours is a collection piece.

andyrud, I hope you will post a picture of the 886. It sounds like it was made for the company, some gave them away as gifts for special reasons. I have a few 886's and I am always ready to see another.

I guess for some reason I am not able to post pictures.

Here is andyrud's knife

My vote: keep it in the box & find a user! :thumbup:

Ordinarily, I would say "use it", but that looks rather special, so I'd say save it, and buy a Buck 110 to be your user, as suggested above.

I find it fascinating that the figure of the bull and the company name are actually ground down into the blade and not just painted or inked on.

I find it fascinating that the figure of the bull and the company name are actually ground down into the blade and not just painted or inked on.

Deep etch & gold fill by Baron Engraving.

A regular production version of this knife might take some searching to find, but a wonderful way to enjoy using the base pattern without causing wear on an obviously pristine and uncommon special factory order knife. There can't be many of those left these days in original as-issued condition. Nice find!

ETA: Look for this pattern with the Sears Craftsman markings!

Back