Usefulness of Spyderco Harpy blade shape?

V-1

Looking at picking up a G-10 Harpy and was wondering how useful the blade shape really is? Thanks for your help.

I don't cut rope etc. but I still find harpy useful. Hawkbills in general are great box openers and serrated hawkbill is even stronger in that area. For me plain edged harpy would be better (not semi chisel grind as serrated knives are) as I use it in draw cuts when I need to cut something precisely with knifes tip ( I cut thick rubber matting for lead collimators). Normally I use kershaw talon as its edge is symmetric.

i originally got mine because it looked "cool". then when i started to use it, i became a fan because it is useful. it's a great shape for any type of pulling cuts. overall, i love it and you'll find yourself using it more than you thought you would. i want a plain edge myself, though it looks like that will be a lighweight version and not the G-10. i have two, just in case i lose the first.

V-1
I had the G-10 version and liked it pretty well, wished that the edge was a plain edged one was my only complaint and then sold it. But the shape! That's where it excells, I like the way I could reach into a bundle of wires and hook underneath a tye-wrap and cut it out without worrying about cutting a wire since I'm pull cutting, that worked extremely well and if I could get one similar I'd go for one. I had trouble cutting through some plastic material and was told that the serrated edges can sometimes bunch up and a straight edge would work better in cases like that.
G2

------------------
"There are no dangerous weapons;
there are only dangerous men."
.......... Robert A. Heinlein, 1959

G2 Leatherworks

I carry a G-10 serrated Harpy everyday and would not trade it for anything else.

sarge

This is a picture I took today of a G10, SS serrated and an old SS plain edge.

View

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

You're a teaser Keith! Where did you find the plain edge one? and is the edge thin for cutting or thick for abuse? I had several of the Kershaw Talons and the blades were not ground thin enough for me, so I sent them back. Called Kershaw about it and I guess thats the way they ground them and now I see that they are not making them anymore.

Thanks for the pic!
G2

------------------
"There are no dangerous weapons;
there are only dangerous men."
.......... Robert A. Heinlein, 1959

G2 Leatherworks

Gary,
The edge is thin, its the same as the serrated version, just without them if that makes sense? The plain edge Harpy is the one I tried to sell here at Bladeforums I think for 42.00 but the interested party bought something else and didnt have the money.(It could have been yours!)
wink.gif
I have more of a need for a serrated blade and didnt care much for it myself.

The knife now belongs to a friend of mine, I borrowed it to take the picture because I have seen others who are interested in a plain edge and thought they would like to see what one looks like.

Notice the lock spring going pass the vent hole? It's an interesting design, the spring is really one piece, made from the back handle spacer.

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

[This message has been edited by Kdarmy (edited 01-21-2000).]

Keith, I'm soooo disappointed
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
that I didn't see that plain harpy at sale forum.
frown.gif
I would have bought it.

There are happy news for all who want plain harpy: Spyderco may (probably will) make some plain merlins(zytel harpy) in the future
biggrin.gif
!

I have lessened the edge angle in my Kershaw talons. All kershaws are ground too thick. I however like their designs and take the time to lower bevels.

I had two kershaw talons. I sold them because I didn't find them to be nearly as useful as other blade shapes

------------------
The thorn stands to defend the Rose, yet it is peaceful and does not seek conflict

Back