User Dingos??

Good question.

Come on, afraid to dirty up our steel are we? Pussies... Come on... Post them pictures, you safe queen quafs... come on... I dare you!

Looking at my recent posts, I'm thinking I'm going to have to have a self imposed ban on posting for a while due to my inabilty to act at least 1/3 my age on this site. Lets make it a week, no a month should do it. See you Nov. 16th.

LOL!!!

There are user pics out there for sure...

Dan

Reprofiled the edge to 40 degrees inclusive (it was about 45-ish) using diamond stones and finished on brown and white Sharpmaker rods.
It took quite a while, but the 3V sharpened to a really crisp edge, and in the end the edge was literally treetopping sharp.

I took it to the woods to do a little chopping, but when i had hacked a piece of hard deadwood the size of a big upper arm about three quarter through, one of the handle screws came loose and fell out.
Did recover it though from the dense underwood, but had to stop hacking that day because i had no Allen wrench with me to put it back.
At home i removed all screws, cleaned everything, and fitted the screwthreads with white teflon tape before putting them back in the handle.
Have yet to test the knife again if the screws stay put, if not i will use Locktite.

What i did notice however is that the CPM3V has a tendency to keep a very sharp edge, even at the steeper 40 degrees inclusive, and i hacked at the wood really hard.
As said, before the hacking the edge could treetop the hair on the back of my hand, and afterwards it could still shave the same hair on skinlevel.

Great review!

For sure, if you plan on doing a lot of chopping, put some LokTite in there. :thumbup:

Dan

Almost forgot about mine...stuck it in a go bag and never went anywhere! Going bowhunting soon; will take pics regardless if I get skunked or not.

Great review!

For sure, if you plan on doing a lot of chopping, put some LokTite in there. :thumbup:

Dan

I don't mean to be a jerk but shouldn't the the screws be secured firmly enough for you to not have to recommend the customer put Lok Tite in the handle fastners if they are going be doing a little chopping with it. It's not like this particular customer was abusing the knife. Furthermore this was apparently the first time he took it out for a little test. First time chopping. Is it possible that you (the company) didn't properly secure one of the fastners on this customers knife. Sounds like the case to me. So maybe you should "Lok Tite" it a little better before it leaves your shop. It's only one knife so it really isn't a big deal and not necessarily a reflection on the quality of your knives (as long as you claim responsibility for it and don't put it on the customer). Just a thought/suggestion.

I don't mean to be a jerk but shouldn't the the screws be secured firmly enough for you to not have to recommend the customer put Lok Tite in the handle fastners if they are going be doing a little chopping with it. It's not like this particular customer was abusing the knife. Furthermore this was apparently the first time he took it out for a little test. First time chopping. Is it possible that you (the company) didn't properly secure one of the fastners on this customers knife. Sounds like the case to me. So maybe you should "Lok Tite" it a little better before it leaves your shop. It's only one knife so it really isn't a big deal and not necessarily a reflection on the quality of your knives (as long as you claim responsibility for it and don't put it on the customer). Just a thought/suggestion.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your input! I am actually redesigning the fasteners on the next batch of Dingo's and they will have removable lok-tite used on them.

I apologize, but I simply did not think they would vibrate out under chopping. Mine didn't, but that seems not to be the case. The good thing is that this is a REALLY simple fix.

Once again thanks for your input and stay tuned for the next run of Dingo's!

Tom

Last weekend i was in the woods again, where i took the opportunity to chop away on some more dried old wood and do some whittling also.
The white teflon tape turned out to be a really good fix, as all the screws stayed in place while chopping at maximum power.
No unturning of the screws whatsoever.

I find that the Dingo is not the best knife to use for chopping because of the balance point which lies just behind the center of the front screws on mine, in other words it's a bit too handle heavy.
The Dingo is however a very useful and extremely strong design for allround outdoorwork that has grown very rapidly into the role of my favourite outdoorknife.

Don't know if you're reading this mr Krein, but i would like to see you make a medium sized kukri out of this steel.
With the exact same tried and tested shape as an original, but with a thick blade from CPM3V instead of old Mercedes springs, and a Micarta handle instead of wood or horn.
Could be a real winner in my opinion.

By the way, one question; somewhere on the web i read someone's statement that CPM3V's only weakpoint lies in a relatively low yield strength.
Now since i'm not putting my Dingo in a vice to find out, could you shed some light on this ?

Last edited:
Last weekend i was in the woods again, where i took the opportunity to chop away on some more dried old wood and do some whittling also.
The white teflon tape turned out to be a really good fix, as all the screws stayed in place while chopping at maximum power.
No unturning of the screws whatsoever.

I find that the Dingo is not the best knife to use for chopping because of the balance point which lies just behind the center of the front screws on mine, in other words it's a bit too handle heavy.
The Dingo is however a very useful and extremely strong design for allround outdoorwork that has grown very rapidly into the role of my favourite outdoorknife.

Don't know if you're reading this mr Krein, but i would like to see you make a medium sized kukri out of this steel.
With the exact same tried and tested shape as an original, but with a thick blade from CPM3V instead of old Mercedes springs, and a Micarta handle instead of wood or horn.
Could be a real winner in my opinion.

By the way, one question; somewhere on the web i read someone's statement that CPM3V's only weakpoint lies in a relatively low yield strength.
Now since i'm not putting my Dingo in a vice to find out, could you shed some light on this ?

Glad to hear that fixed the problem!

I agree the Dingo is not a good chopper, it really was not designed as a chopper. I do have a chopper prototype though... :) A Kukri would be pretty cool, might have to consider it.

I am not really sure what they mean by a low yield strength. CPM 3V is good stuff for sure.

Tom

Back