Using Aluminum

Travis Talboys

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I am considering using aluminum for a bolster and pommel on an upcoming project. Does anyone see any issues that I might be over looking?

Thanks in advance,
Travis

Aluminum has been used as knife fittings for about 100 years. You'll be fine.
Just remember-it doesn't bend well.

I'm a little surprised to see Bill recommend it, but I won't argue.
Personally I have worked with it in other contexts and wouldn't think to use it on a knife.
It is the first metal mentioned when the concept of galling comes up.

Buck has used Duralumin (2000 series aluminum) for 50 or 60 years, at least, on things like the 102. I've seen knives that old with aluminum fittings that still look great.

-Tyson

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking about aluminum because I need to do some carving with it, and thought it would easier than SS. I'm looking at 6061, but I've never carved it before. I have an assortment of files and burrs. Can anyone suggest another alloy that might work easier?

You mentioned bolster and pommel, so I immediately thought of my Buck 102, which uses Duralumin. It only occurred to me later that I had an aluminum knife in my pocket as I was typing - an SAK Alox Solo. SAK Alox knives seem to last a long time too.

-Tyson

And, clean up your filings and grinding debris.
Ground aluminum and steel dust makes thermite!
Yup! Almost lit my bench on fire one time!
I had ground a bunch of aluminum, so there was a fine later of dust on the bench. Started doing a bit of steel grinding, and each time a spark landed on the aluminum powder, it would crawl around the surface burning "worm trails" into the plywood of my bench.

Super cool looking but terrifying at the same time! The only reason I noticed is because I was being stupid and wasnt wrearing a respirator and smelled the smoke!

Huh, was not aware of aluminum’s use for knives (had the idea once but discounted it as another frazoo’s folly)! What material would you use for pins?

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking about aluminum because I need to do some carving with it, and thought it would easier than SS. I'm looking at 6061, but I've never carved it before. I have an assortment of files and burrs. Can anyone suggest another alloy that might work easier?
The choice is very subjective, although I'll be surprised if anyone can point to it used in a fancier carved application.
A few years ago someone referred to "low class brass" and others said that they like it. Hogstrom does very high end work in bronze.
For me the two go-to materials are 416 stainless for a lasting shine, and mild steel for how nicely it takes bluing.

Whether or not aluminum will look good will depend on the rest of the knife. I can't imagine a feather damascus blade, mammoth handle, and recycled aluminum bolster...

The choice is very subjective, although I'll be surprised if anyone can point to it used in a fancier carved application.
A few years ago someone referred to "low class brass" and others said that they like it. Hogstrom does very high end work in bronze.
For me the two go-to materials are 416 stainless for a lasting shine, and mild steel for how nicely it takes bluing.

Whether or not aluminum will look good will depend on the rest of the knife. I can't imagine a feather damascus blade, mammoth handle, and recycled aluminum bolster...
Sure, it depends on the look you're going for. The KABAR Marine Hunter, with brass guard, stacked leather handle, and aluminum pommel, is pretty good looking. The Buck 102 / 105 / 119 series knives, with black phenolic handles and aluminum guard and pommel, are also quite classic in appearance. The SAK Alox Solo, with textured aluminum scales, is an attractive folder.

None of these are in the same category as feather damascus and and mammoth, but honestly I usually think that looks way too busy - too many different patterns going on. Different tastes, I guess.

-Tyson

Also, aluminum comes in different grades (just like steel) - so if someone wants to use 'recycled aluminum', that's usually 3000 series aluminum, and I think most knives are using 2000 series aluminum. I don't know how the 3000 series would look or last on a knife.

-Tyson

Also, aluminum comes in different grades (just like steel) - so if someone wants to use 'recycled aluminum', that's usually 3000 series aluminum, and I think most knives are using 2000 series aluminum. I don't know how the 3000 series would look or last on a knife.

-Tyson
I was thinking of using 6061.

Back