Using Expensive Custom Knives

David,

Yes, I rememebr the first time I saw it. It shows that they've been through a lot together and I'm sure some of it would make Ed's breaking in process seem tame... :)

Thanks Phil, nice set there. I have one with a similar sized blade that sees the most use of any of my knives.

-Jose

I have used and carried my Hammond Seal Tac and utility knives since I got them in the mid 80's. 15 years on active duty. I think they have held up well.

the_works.jpg

Makes me wish someone was selling a beat-up Pronghorn!
Ed, I really respect your attitude toward knifemaking as well as your talent. Not using a well-made knife is like parking your new car in the garage to look at.

Ed Fowler said:
Way back in the 60's I made up a 25 improved Kraig caliber on a high wall action. Worked up some ultra delux wood and she really shined. I showed her to a friend and he said lets go shoot her. I said OK, we headed out to the range. I started to put her in a sheepskin case and he said NO, and silmply laid her bear naked in the steel bed of my pickup that was littered with gravel and parts. We drove and bounced 8 miles down a rough dirt road, then broke her in on some targets. The stock was scratched up as was the blueing.

His comment was that now I would not be afraid to use her and would get more enjoyment without having to worry about that first blemish. He was right, I carried that rifle for years, used her on everything from paraie dogs to elk. She was a joy, true partner in the hunt and on the trail. Today she is still as beautiful, but with character.

Years ago a client who had purchased several knives from me drove to the ranch to purchase another one. He was very vocal about his pappreciation of my knives. I noticed he was carrying another makers knife and asked him why? He said that my knives were too good to use, and were kept in a safe.

I told him they were made to use and had my present wife take the one I carried and dig a hole in our dirt road. She jabbed into rocks and dirt that was almost like concrete until she had about a 10 inch hole dug. I then had her dress the knife up on a stone to show him how simple it would be.

He was appaled. I told him that I wanted him to have a knife he would not be afraid to use and offered to sell him the knife he had ordered for half price if he allowed me to break it in. He asked how? I told him that I would simply tie the knife onto the hitch on my pickup and drive it up and down the ranch dirt raod draging behind until the twine wore out. I would then take out most of the dings, sharpen her up and he could have her.

He refused and left without a knife, more than a little angry. It was his choice, but I diid not want my another of my daughters to spend their lives in solitary confinement locked up in a safe. They are born, bred, designed and meant to be used.
Using a knife is like making love to your lady through trule sharing life you become intimate and truly get to know each other. If either refuses intimacy, the other suffers.

I've decided that if I wont' use it, I won't buy it!

BTW, on my want list, I am looking to buy a Terzuola ATCF, a Bud Nealy Cavebear and a Pronghorn. And yes, they're going to be used.

I have a Bill Burke Yearling (3" blade and 7" overall) that I purchased from Bill at a Southern California show about 3 years ago. Unfortunately living in So Cal and with my job I could not carry and use it without drawing some attention that I didn't need. I now live on the central coast of CA and have started carrying it when ever I can. You don't realize what Ed and his protege's are teaching is right on the nose until you actually carry and use one of their blades.

I have noticed that Bill's blades are now fetching 3 times what I paid for mine. I have bought, sold and traded other makers knives but I couldn't bring myself to let this one go. I am so glad that I didn't, this knife is mine till I die.

Thanks Bill for making a great knife that will be my friend for life.

Kevin

(my knife has a very unique pattern to the horn, I will post a photo as soon as I can)

I thank you gentlemen for your kind thoughts.

The High Performance knives are not the product of any one man, many have aided in their development. It all started with a couple of great grandfathers and one super grandmother who shared their thoughts about tools and the ability for anyone to achieve their goals as long as he could believe in him self, with a little kid. Growing up in a time where knives were welcome and that freedom is our greatest gift from those who fought to keep us free.

A high school shop teacher, Harry Slater was a great coach. My own experience using knives and a lot of failures pushed a bull headed kid to seek something better.

A few weeks with Bill Moran, Time and many thoughts shared with Wayne Goddard provided a lot of horsepower to what was to follow. Then came Dick IIams, Rex Walter, Doc, Bill Burke, Eldon Perkins and a new man, Butch Devereaux, and progress continues. The men who have come to our seminars about the high performance knife have become another breath of fresh air through their questions and their life experiences they bring to the seminars and watching them learn how to put their dream together.

The many knifemakers who produced knives that have survived the exposure to man, some of them thousands of years ago continue to teach us through their knives.

The friends who have supported our experiments also share in the development of our product, companions to man that he can count on, have provided their voluntary and enthusiastic support and will always be a significant part of the high performance knife.

I sincerely thank you all.
Ed Fowler

The great thing about Bill's knives or Ed's knives is that they might be called the same or be the same size, but they are all unique and different as each ram horn they used.

Photos of my Bill Burke Yearling.

I neglected to mention Shand Justice as a part of our team. Shane, at his own expense and great tribulation dealing with the freight outfits has purchased the remaining stock of Texaco Type A quenching fluid and is now providing it to those who whish to experiment with high perfromance 5160 and 52100 blades.
Thanks Shane

[collector only]

mlovett said:
Whats the point, Yes I know the answer, But It still hits a little hard at times.
The collector market can be side stepped. Makers can offer user grade pieces directly to the consumer, consider the following :

http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sstamp/images/aj_utility.jpg

This is an O1 blade, 63.5 HRC, cold treatment, high hollow grind, the edge is 0.012-0.014" thick, ground at 5.6 +/- 0.2 degrees per side.

It has a plain wood handle, the primary grind is not polished, and the blade is severely scratched up from the maker sharpening.

This is a high end custom made with only one purpose in mind which is performance.

Now the collector demand for some makers is so extreme that no matter what you make the probability of it being seriously used is nil, especially if there is a chance of it getting damaged.

However the knives can still be sold under another name. If you really want to get your knives into the hand of simple users it isn't difficult to bypass the collectors.

When I pass around my knives to friends I never tell them how much they cost because a simple trademen isn't going to take a knife which is worth as much as they make in a week and take a chance in damaging it.

If they do ask, I tell them, but note that I just got the knife for evaluation purposes and intend to return it so not to worry about any damage, even if I payed for it, because otherwise they simply won't use it, especially not a custom costing what they make in a month.

This of course is another option for the high end makers wanting to see user feedback, submit knives to the pass around forum with a request of serious use, actual wear on the knives. Indicate the knife is going to be destroyed as a maker sample QC check at the end of the pass around so no one is concerned about using it.

-Cliff

A good friend of mine pointed out that Ed Caffrey offers an economy model starting around $150. I think it's a great idea, if possible for makers to get their knives into the hands of as many users as possible. Bob Dozier has always done well keeping his knives affordable. "Midtech" and factory collaborations are the solution for some.. for popular makers sometimes it's a feeding frenzy w/ collectors, so the prices never come down to the scale where everyone can enjoy them.
David

I have one of Ed Caffrey's EBK wharncliffes on the way, I will definitely post a review. I'm also on his list for a Progression folder that is around the same price as a Sebenza, so we'll see about that too. Burt Foster also has a "blue collar camp" knife on his site that runs around the same range as some of the high end fixed blades like Busse & Fehrman. I'm glad that makers are able to do this, it's a shame that many talented smiths' knives rarely see real use.

Proud to carry as an EDC, a Carson which he calls only "new model" and was his personasl carry knife and blade test piece for two years. Made in 2002 and I got it out of his pocket last year at Blade. :) Also got the 3 test blades that had been assessed in the knife. For pic see Kit's Knife Album 1973 to 2003 page 5. This knife means more to me than any knife in my collecton, including 7 other Carsons. Thanks Kit!

I use my newly acquired Bill Burke Pronghorn, today. And I'm really HAPPY! Must use it somemore.

4ljzok

:D :D :D

I use many customs, both in carry and in the kitchen.

Here are the knives currently carry in the kitchen, in kydex in the right front pocket, under the apron (though one at a time :) )...

kitchen_edc.jpg

Recently acquired one of yours Ed; broke down 12 rabbit and 20 lb of Boston cod like nuthin

fowler_rabbit.jpg

fowler_rabbit2.jpg

fowler_fish.jpg

Owning them is one thing, using them is another :D

-Michael

Chefget - nice collection here. What's the one under the Fogg? It has a nasty blade profile. :eek: :eek: :eek: (That's a good thing. :D )

Hi Joss,

That's a RJ Martin 'Chef's Kozuka'...it cuts like magic :)

-Michael

Back