1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Usmc + 1911

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by mete, Jul 28, 2012.

1. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Yes the Marines will have the good old 1911 again - ordering $ 22.5 million worth of 1911s from Colt ! Tested and approved over 100 years .

2. ednemo

ednemo

Feb 12, 2004
    I'm kind of surprised they didn't go with a Para 1911 or some other version that double stacked and gave 14+1 rounds.

3. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/20/usmc-orders-4036-m45-cqbp-pistols/

4. Dago Red

Dago Red

Jun 16, 2008
    I think there's something very fishy about the whole Military/Colt relationship. I heard that they opened up the infantry rifle for bid, then did something that changed the specs so basically colt would end up with the contract, anybody know if that is true?

Even going with the 1911, I have a hard time believing that Colt would come out on top if everybody making a 1911 out there could submit for bit, especially at 1800+++ per gun. Good to see Browning's design is still going strong though.

Red

5. ednemo

ednemo

Feb 12, 2004
    After checking out the Para wide body, I understand the allure of the original 1911. It fits the hand very well. Also, I think at least part of the reason the military is using Colt is to put money into the American economy. Good job and good choice.

6. bigcountry1315

bigcountry1315

Aug 3, 2009
    Well I was in the Corps when they went from 1911's to the Beretta M-9 9 mm.We all complained that we did not have any use for a 9 mm even with the high capacity.when I got out and started out in law enforcement the department I worked for allowed you to carry what ever firearm that you could qualify with.The only stipulation was it had to be a minimum of 9mm or larger. You probably can guess what I carried, A Springfield armory 1911. I am glad for the Corps to have the 1911 back for use.Nothing like a 230 grain slug to drop a tango with any torso shot!

7. yoko

yoko Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2011
    An effective side arm is an effective side arm

Good job on picking a us made weapon ..........again! Lol

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012