1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

USMC 5684 vs 5685

Discussion in 'Camillus Collector's Forum' started by Mountainwind, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Mountainwind

Mountainwind

Mar 13, 2006
    I have never thought about this till today, what is the difference? I have boxes marked both ways.
    My collection of fighting knives....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    The 5685, (I'll call it stock number), shows up around 1992. The 5685 number was used to identify the version of that pattern that was marked with U.S.M.C. very similar to the way many of knives made during WW2 were marked.
    They made this version of the knife from around 1994 till Camillus closed. They made the 5684 and 5685 simultaneously during that time. They were just marked differently.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  3. Vit_213

Vit_213

Feb 4, 2011
    #5684 - black sheath and handle
    #5685 - brown sheath and handle

Mountainwind,
    Which knife on the first photo, second from right, like Pilot Survival, but without coating?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    Probably the model 1010, "Civilian Survival" knife. Also made a bright finished 5684 version number 1009 "Trail Blazer", also often blade etched "Sword Brand".

5. Mountainwind

Mountainwind

Mar 13, 2006
    I have three with shiny blades. The one you mentioned simply says USN on it. These didn't come out very well. The middle one has Camillus over New York on one side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. citytransplant

citytransplant

Apr 12, 2008
    Impressive collection !!!!!

7. sac troop

sac troop

Mar 4, 2009
    The smaller knife looks like a copy of the WESTERN model 71,(Seabee), knife. Commonly considered Western's version of the Navy's Mark 1 knife of WW2.
    I've never seen a Camillus named knife from WW2 with this specific blade type or overall pattern.
    [​IMG]

Camillus's version of the Mark 1 was unique for those types of knives in that it was made with a saber ground blade. Sadly I don't believe that Camillus ever reproduced that specific knife again after WW2, although it might be possible that they still supplied some to the U.S. Government after the War. However while possible it doesn't seem too likely considering the amount of knives the Government had in stock at the end of the War, prompting the cancelation of all outstanding knife contracts after VJ day.
    Camillus did acquire the Western knife company in 1991, and did make and market the model 71 knife under the WESTERN brand.
    Nice variant of a solid fixed blade knife.