USMC Marine knife question...

Is this knife full tang? Anyone have any thoughts on it? Seems similar to a Ka-Bar, for obviuos reasons, but wondered how the 2 compared. Steel this knife uses?

I like it better than a Kabar brand marine fighting/utility. They are every bit as capable (as evidenced by the contracts to supply the USMC from time to time), and less expensive. They are full tang knives.

I have owned a few during my military career. I like to sand the sides of the handle down some to make it more oval, regroove the handle, dye it black again, and drill a wrist thong hole in the butt cap (hard to do!). I also sharpen the swedge straight.

I've been around the Camillus, the Ontario, and the Kabar (the USMC hasn't bought the Kabar brand since WWII) and always reach for the Camillus.

I'm Army (because the Army isn't just looking for a "few" good men!)--sorry troopers--and have to buy my combat knife because the Army doesn't think you need one bad enough to issue you one, so I always get the black model so I don't walk around with "USMC" on my equipment. Besides, if an Army soldier bought the brown one, he would probably have to paint it black anyway!

Thanks for the thoughts. Might try one out at least. Hmm...wonder who has em in stock...

All the USMC type knives are made from 1095 carbon steel. The Camillus in question has a real parkerized finish, while the Ka-bar uses a cheap epoxy coat which chips the first time you cut something. The Camillus is generally a better knife from what Ive seen.

I've heard others saying that the Camillus USMC is available with a kydex sheath, but I've not seen it advertised anywhere. Anyone have a lead where it is ?

Tuff,

For under $40 shipped to your home - it will be money well spent
smile.gif
. Solid performer, it is definetly a great buy - Will Fennell put the bug in my ear one nite on IRc chat. A lot of knife IMHO.
smile.gif

Ray 'md2020'

Back