Vacuum heat treating AEB-L?

I plan to send out a sword made of AEB-L to be HT by commercial vacuum heat treat. They do use 1900F 120 mins soak recipe which kinda on the lower end temp for AEB-L.

But since AEB-L lacks grain pinning carbide like vanadium, should I expect grain growth or any problem using this recipe?

I plan to send out a sword made of AEB-L to be HT by commercial vacuum heat treat. They do use 1900F 120 mins soak recipe which kinda on the lower end temp for AEB-L.

But since AEB-L lacks grain pinning carbide like vanadium, should I expect grain growth or any problem using this recipe?
Maybe they have just gotten to know their ovens and what works in their environment? Could be that they used the suggested recipe and have adapted it for better results.

That sounds like a very odd heat treatment for AEB-L.

Hoss

They exclusively do only 440c and D2 and that is the recipe for those steel. The sword is just too long for my own equipment so I need to out source HT.

What about peters heat treat? There equipment should be big enough and they should also be familiar with AEB-L

Carbides pin grain regardless, Vanadium Carbide gets all the glory because it doesn't dissolve until a higher temp than the more ubiquitous carbides found in a majority of steels.
There's still undissolved carbide in AEB-L even at 1975-2000f

Back