1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Valašska Shepherd's Axe

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by rjdankert, Feb 24, 2017.

1. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Miller '72 likes this.
  2. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    That is cool Bob! Can I ask how long it took to get from the Slovak Republic to you? Is the 24.5 the shipping?

Anyway, your new "walking stick" looks capable of giving marching orders to your others :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks Agent_H, actual shipping time was under two weeks. However I first made contact with them on Oct 31. You can't specify shipping to the U. S. on their site. So we went back and forth through emails (price, options, etc.). Then they order it to be made. I would guess the 24.5 represents the cost to the post office. Part of that is cut off in the picture, it actually is "24.50 EUR". The shipping and handling fee was 50 Euros.

Bob

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    That's really cool.

Are you going to actually take a few swings with it? Realizing the long haft will have limitations I don't think I could resist taking a few whacks with it.

rjdankert likes this.
  5. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks, YES.

I bought it to use as a walking aid with the function of a small axe. Nothing fancy, but not a toy or display piece is my hope.

Bob

6. Moonw

Moonw

Nov 19, 2014
    Cracking a bear or wolf in the head or spine several times with it, while trying not to hurt one of your good dogs was what this was used for. Surely beats using a big stick for the same purpose..

It's called a "fokos" in Hungary, "baltag" in Romania, and can be found in other parts of Europe as well. This tells me it did work. As well as the fact that they banned these in some places :).

Light chopping was another use as well. Basically, a tomahawk on a long haft.

7. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    I like it, I like it a lot. Some thing like this could easily be fashioned from an axe with " issues " , an axe head with a big chip out of the toe or heal. Hmm going to go thru my junk pile, lol

rjdankert likes this.
  8. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Peasants of Hodod, Transylvania, 1860s

Bob

9. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Southern Poland too. Carpathian mountians anyway.
    Several folkdances were created with this axe an integral part of the action.

Its staggering the jumps & syncronised flailing about some of these dancers can do without clobbering each other. I expect one can find Youtubes of guys dancing these things.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    rjdankert likes this.
  10. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    What is the over all lenth?

11. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    I would say it's really up to the user what length they want. I can only speak to where mine came from and the intended use. These are their standard OAL lengths:

[​IMG]

Their recommendations are equivalent to the length one would choose when selecting a walking cane. If you Google "cane" you will find similar information relating cane length to a person's height. Some sites will give a length according to the distance from the floor to some place on your hand/wrist. In my case my arms are longer than the average person of the same height.

Bob

12. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    In searching on eBay I see a few with many rings attached to one side, does anyone know what they were used for?

13. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
  14. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    Thanks for the link, very interesting, I tried a search but had no luck

15. shappa

shappa

Oct 15, 1998
    It can be done. Not quickly that's for sure.
    Here's one I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AaronGP and rjdankert like this.
  16. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Very nice.:thumbup:

Bob

17. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Forging a fokos
    [video=youtube;w3dW8-neJE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3dW8-neJE4[/video]

Bob

18. Beachlogger

Beachlogger

Dec 27, 2015
    @ Shappa, beautiful job on that axe head. Have you put a handle on it yet? Do you carve a curve to fit the finger groove in the handle?

19. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Dangit, you're really reviving my desire for a slim hiking axe... like a cane or walking stick with a skinny tomahawk head on it.

rjdankert likes this.
  20. Whiskey_Jim

Whiskey_Jim

Feb 21, 2017
    [​IMG]

rjdankert likes this.