Vallotton Lil' Sub-Hilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did they make this knife so thick?? It would have been perfect if it was thinner. But now it's unnecessarily heavy (I feel like I could do arm curls with this thing), and all of that back weight throws off the balance, too. This knife could have been stellar. I'm kind of disappointed. (Just received my knife today.)

Well, I’m not one to cast stones, but I will say I’m glad I was able to fondle a full size Sub-Hilt prior to making a purchase. The build quality was exceptional, but the thickness put me off too.

S Sharperthansticks , I heartily recommend the Hungarian if you can find one. Luscious polished G10 and bolsters in a much more practical package. Similar build quality. IMO its one of Spyderco’s best ever and terribly under rated. Dang, I may have to start trolling for a backup!

Well, I’m not one to cast stones, but I will say I’m glad I was able to fondle a full size Sub-Hilt prior to making a purchase. The build quality was exceptional, but the thickness put me off too.

S Sharperthansticks , I heartily recommend the Hungarian if you can find one. Luscious polished G10 and bolsters in a much more practical package. Similar build quality. IMO its one of Spyderco’s best ever and terribly under rated. Dang, I may have to start trolling for a backup!
Thanks for the recommendation. Some time ago I snagged a Hungarian off of the exchange, and I thought I'd love it. I seem to recall not having a comfortable place to put my thumb due to an oddly sharp rise in the frame right above the pivot. Just couldn't get comfortable with the knife, and I passed it along. That, too, was a disappointment.

That's pretty strong opinion for less than one day of use, if it was used at all.

There’s been a few knives and other tools I thought similarity of until I used them a while.

This might not be what happens in your case, but you’ll never really know for sure by immediately dismissing it.

If this was your opinion after a few months of use, it would carry a lot more weight.

I told people the things about the knife that you could tell instantly: it's very heavy for its blade length (5.5oz), it's chunky, and it's back-heavy and hence unbalanced. It does not take a few months of use to determine these things. I get the feeling that if I ordered a set of forks and got a set of spoons and said that the principal problem is that they lacked forkitude since there were no tines to pierce food, one or more people on here would call me hasty and tell me to use the spoons for a few months to really make sure they didn't function as forks and that my opinion did not yet carry weight on the matter.

If I'm not mistaken the Lil Sub-Hilt handle has the same general dimensions as the full sized version, just shorter (of course).

I've never handled a Lil Sub-Hilt but I have 2 full sized versions -- a manual and a DA Vallaton conversion. They have perfect balance/feel and the weight doesn't bother me. I consider them collector pieces and do not carry them but I would not have any problems doing so if that's what I wanted to do w/them.

Any balance issues w/the Lil Sub-hilt are probably due to the shortness of the blade/handle as compared w/the full sized model.

I really like the small one over the large one.

I appreciate the thickness which allows for a better and more comfortable grip. I also had the large one and I did not really like it. I also appreciate the weight and the balance.

They are both two of the best Spydercos in fit and finish that I have ever owned and I have had many of them!

The nice thing about knives, if you don’t like one, there are many others to try!

I told people the things about the knife that you could tell instantly: it's very heavy for its blade length (5.5oz), it's chunky, and it's back-heavy and hence unbalanced. It does not take a few months of use to determine these things. I get the feeling that if I ordered a set of forks and got a set of spoons and said that the principal problem is that they lacked forkitude since there were no tines to pierce food, one or more people on here would call me hasty and tell me to use the spoons for a few months to really make sure they didn't function as forks and that my opinion did not yet carry weight on the matter.
You don't get at all what I wrote, and your analogy is retarded.

Next time, try taking 10 minutes or so researching the specs you're complaining about, and save yourself a purchase.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back