Variable or single

I am looking to buy this grinder: http://www.suremak.com/grinder.html

There is an option for either a single or variable speed. I am not sure how much more the variable is but any more than a hundred or two will be seriously stretching my budget. Just how important is the variable speed?

Either one will be better than my 4 x 36 but I would like some opinions to help me decide how much more I would be willing to spend on the variable.

I wouldn't say it isn't really important but it does help and you are probably going to in buy something like it later

The single speed motor is likely a single phase motor that is plug-and-play. It can be made to control the grinder with multiple speeds with the simple addition of step pulleys. The variable speed motor will most likely be a 3-phase motor that requires the addition of a VFD adding several hundred more at a minimum to the overall cost to get it running.

I'd say for your budget, stick with a single speed motor and step pulleys to get some speed control.

--nathan

Variable speed is worth stretching for......................

Once you use it you will wonder how you lived with out it. Kinda like zoom lenses on cameras or microwaves in the kitchen.

You're going to do it eventually. Bet on it.

Buy once cry once..............

Corey "synthesist" Gimbel

I agree that the variable speed is worth it. However, it will be considerably more if they are including a VFD. Also, if the VFD they provide is not sealed against dust, you'll need to remote mount it or build a clean box. Just make sure you know they are offering. A VFD controlled motor is the cat's meow. However, a single phase motor and step pulleys will more than get you started of you can't afford it just yet.

--nathan

If I can spend your money, then definitely get vs. if you do it later then you have a single phase motor and step pullies that have no need.

I am in the same boat as you as I too have a 4x36. I have never came across this grinder before and i actually kinda like it :thumbup:, I like it by its functionality a bit more that the grizzly g1015. But for variable speed, I would just buy one of those and buy a vfd to go with the motor.

Var. speed is worth every penny it costs. There are some things you just can't do with a grinder running at 3600 SFPM. The main one that comes to mind is really thin (below .010") edges. You can easily burn them at .010" but its almost impossible to go thinner than that at high speeds.

Tmanifold, do you have any experience with that particular grinder? About $900 Canadian is roughly $820 usd. Doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I'm not fully up to speed (ha!) when it comes to the various options. Reminds me of a more versatile Coote.

I can't tell on their site, what cost does the vfd add?

?
For a Variable hack couldn't I simply adjust the voltage for a Fixed, like with a dimmer on a light?

Jens, it's not that simple. You will burn things up. The only reliable ways to get variable speed for grinder duty are:

1. Single phase AC motor with step pulleys
2. 3 phase AC motor with VFD
3. DC motor with DC controller

--nathan

Cost Now is presumably the real issue.

Many grinders use the drive wheel mounted directly on the motor shaft when using a VFD; not having the shaft, bearings and pulleys goes some way to offsetting the cost of the VFD. The one in the link doesn't seem to, so there's nothing to stop you upgrading to a VFD and 3-phase motor later.

Weg motors are pretty good "real" industrial motors in my experience and are not the cheapest.

I'd look at the option of buying the bare grinder and a cheap single-phase motor now. Then put the money saved on the cheap motor to one side and add to it until you can afford a 3-phase motor and VFD.

Tmanifold, do you have any experience with that particular grinder? About $900 Canadian is roughly $820 usd. Doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I'm not fully up to speed (ha!) when it comes to the various options. Reminds me of a more versatile Coote.

I can't tell on their site, what cost does the vfd add?

I got an email in asking that question. As soon as I know I'll post it. I will also post a review after I've used it for a bit.

Single speed is very limiting, three speeds is completely adequate and variable speed is handy and probably a good investment in the long run. I have a vs speed grinder right next to my three speed kmg. The vs grinder shares a vfd with another machine and 95 percent of the time I just use the kmg to avoid having to plug and unplug. However once in a while I am really happy I have it.

Back