Variations on the CQC6

edmoses

Usual Suspect
I thought that it would be interesting to start a topic dedicated to producing a list of the various types of CQC6 that have been made.

I currently know of three types:

1. The "standard" - satin blade, Matte Ti bolsters and green micarta scales.

2. Same as above, but with a titanium blade.

3. Full Dress - Damascus blade (spiral or ladder pattern), Mother of Pearl handles, polished Ti bolsters etc.

Does anybody know of any other variations?

Regards,

Ed
smile.gif

There are likely many but here's what I know of. In addition the the variants that you mentioned the CQC-6 was also made with bead blasted, mismarked blades. These variants were unofficially dubbed the "6/7" in order to differentiate from other CQC-6's. These knives which numbered less than ten(?) first appeared at the NY Knife Show last year. Ernie did personally assure the Forum members that despite the logo mistake the blades were in fact ground by him. Check out Ernie's discussion on the topic here: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000143.html
There is also a right side grind CQC-6 of which Ernie says there is only one.
I would not be surprised if there are other custom orders of CQC-6's with some interesting options particularly those ordered by SOF personnel.
The Japanese market has seen heated Emerson collecting. So much so that Ernie has made some true "variations" on the CQC-6. These are hybrid knives specifically intended for the Japanese market which incorporate the mating of a Viper 5 style blade with a CQC-6 handle. Pictures of this hybrid along with a damascus Commander can be found in this month's issue of the awesome Japanese magazine KNIFE.
Finally, there are many subtleties regarding various generations of CQC-6's. These are usaully refered to as "bells and whistles" and would require a much longer reply to describe in any detail. Check out JBrovo's reply at this topic here: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000287.html

Other Usual Suspects like Tamishigiri, JBravo, Nyeti, J Hollister, Fenris, Jackstraw should know about any other CQC-6 anomolies that I never even dreamed of!

------------------
Usual Suspect http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/arkhamdrifter/index.html

[This message has been edited by arkhamdrifter (edited 05-19-2000).]

I believe that Emerson stated that there were only (5) of these CQC 67's made for the NYC show. There's nothing special about these knives. They're basically a CQC6 with a double bevel edge, file work on the bolsters, green micarta handle slabs & bead blasted blade. They look machine made, as do all newer CQC6's. The only feature about these knives which make them unique is that the blade is marked "CQC7" I bet ya I could get a pretty penny for it in the Japanese market
smile.gif
...or maybe not.
Oh by the way, the spacers are thicker & smaller in diameter than the older ones thus there is more space between the liners.

[This message has been edited by David T (edited 05-22-2000).]

Back