Various things Viking... and scabbard for Type G sword

None of these are truly complete but I liked the light this morning. In the pictures you will see a maple core/linen scabbard for my Type G viking sword .. with spalted maple mounting. A viking langsax with wrought iron blade that was carburized in a charcoal fire. This is a blade that I decided not to dance around the term 'relic'. I wanted this one to truly look like a museum specimen and I played around quite a bit to get the blackened look on the hilt that I've seen in many museum pictures. It has a goatskin 'Gotland' style scabbard with bronze fittings. The little belt knife was not originally intended to match the longer blade... but it ended up that way when I got to having fun with aging the linen/wire wrap. And it bears my first attempt at a detailed carving.

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

(by the way... please contact me with any interest in the Type G sword.. it is available)

By the way... I recently found info on the use of linen for scabbards so I thought I would give it a shot. I REALLY like this. The linen.. actually it's a rough woven cotton found of unknown source... was wrapped on wet with wood glue and then impregnated with beeswax and then burnished until it has become quite hard. The inside of the wood core is lined with goatskin and bear fur. A very nice, smooth, tight fit.

Would be a proud viking with that kit. Love the langsax! Looks like the Loki face bellows guard got cracked?

Thanks...

Yeah.. Loki cracked when trying to fit the tuyere. But he works... I used furnace cement and fired the forge for the first time today. And I ordered a giant chunk of soaptstone to make another....

What a great photo of some really great work. You look like you're having a ton of fun.

Back