Vector Hawk Review, with pics!

My first impression of the hawk was that it was very light. Second thought was that the handle was very long, yet very stiff. I liked it.

DSC04502.jpg

I wasnt sure if I was going to be able to review the hawk very well, seeing as last night the temperature was -18 Celsius (about 0 for all you folks that use that crazy Fahrenheit scale). But by this afternoon it had warmed up to about -8 and was rather sunny, so I was able to venture out.

DSC04503.jpg

The hawk came from Vec with what I assume to be a Cold Steel factory edge. Not worries, as a few strokes from a file, then a bit 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then a leather strop with some compound soon put a nice working edge on her.

DSC04505.jpg

I'm not exactly sure how the head is held on, but it seems very secure, and the work is very neatly done. The hawk came with these cord wraps already on it, and it is very uniform and tight. I did a little test wrap on the haft, but it made the grip too fat for my liking, so I left the haft plain.

DSC04514.jpg

Here is a pic of the ingenious ring that is in the but of the hawk. it makes a very nice place for a lanyard.

DSC04509.jpg

A word about balance. I ordered the hawk at Vec's recommended length, 28 inches. I'm glad I did. When I first hefted it, it seemed a little off. Then I recalled Vector saying that the long hawks are best when grasped about two thirds of the way down that shaft. I tried it, and it worked beautifully. Now, the head is very light for this length of shaft, and some folks might have a problem with that, but I ling it ideal.

You see, I'm a "wood frame carpenter" by trade, so I know a thing or two about swinging tools all day. My "EDC hammer" is made by Vaughn, and has a 16 oz. titanium head with a removable steel face on an 18 inch wood handle. This hammer is light, yet hits like a much heavier hammer because of the speed afforded by the light weight. Same thing with this hawk.

DSC04507.jpg

Here is a branch about two inches in diameter.

DSC04508.jpg

Two hits later, and we are through. this hawk hit like a ton af bricks. Very, very nice for chopping light green wood.

DSC04513.jpg

Here is some unidentified hardwood, very dry and very hard.

DSC04515.jpg

It took quite a bit to get though this, but not at all bad for such a small light hawk!

DSC04511.jpg

By now it was too cold to take any more pics, so I put my gloves back on and headed in.

In conclusion, this hawk will not be replacing your axe or maul for chopping stove wood, but for booting about in the bush, this one is king. I used to chop some green pine limbs, like those you would use for a shelter, and one stroke will take down an inch and a half limb. With this hawk and a small fixed blade, you could accomplish most bushcraft tasks you would encounter in the north American bush.

Great pics and a nice review. I really need to jump on the band wagon and order one of those.

In conclusion, this hawk will not be replacing your axe or maul for chopping stove wood, but for booting about in the bush, this one is king. I used to chop some green pine limbs, like those you would use for a shelter, and one stroke will take down an inch and a half limb. With this hawk and a small fixed blade, you could accomplish most bushcraft tasks you would encounter in the north American bush.

God Bless you for saying that, brother 'thor!

these hawks are tough, but i made them for the purpose you describe.

we will come out with axe handles some day as a regular service, God willing, but the exact thing that i love about these hawks was shown perfectly in your review - great for setting up camp lickety-split when we are out "roughing it"...!

thank you once again, and enjoy that hawk - that hand right where the last third meets the second will get addictive, and you will learn to really like it over time.

i think brother thor opted for our 3/4 weight long hawk too, i can't remember now - it is more of an expert-level hawk, for mindful hawkers, and that's why good-brother 'thor got it, if i recall correctly. - the Standards weigh a few more ounces, and we push the CG towards the head a little more for folks who want to use their hawks for all the things that make me cringe, like cording wood and heavy axe work in general ...hehehe! - but it's all covered by the Happiness Guarantee anyways....

i find with long hawks, lightweight or standard weights, they really are almost forgotten as weight when you drape the head over the crook in your off arm's elbow with the handle lazily held in the same arm's hand, ready in an instant for use as a tool or weapon...;

- welp, ...like so, with my trusty old Sioux Hawk:
siouxcarry3.jpg

brother 'thor - thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a man of your word, and posting your thoughts.

....i owe ya.

your bud,

vec

Great review. Why Vec is on here responding and not working on making more hawks is beyond my ken... Somebody needs to talk to that guy.

i cloned myself so that i can goof off, and still work twice as hard as a hu-man.

:D

now if i could just get myself to stop chasing my lovely wife around, i'd be rich....

:thumbup:

vec

Nice review! I've used mine on the wood pile, as a gaff hook, to pull stuff to me for the splitting block. And there's another head I've sent the VecMeister to handle. I think it'll fill the gap as a kindling splitter/heavy 'hawk. These trail 'hawks are awesome as light cutting/splitting tools. When I say "light" I am talking in reference to say, a cruiser axe. The handles will take FAR more abuse than a stock wooden 'hawk.:thumbup:

Drew

Last trip, I put my ATAX on a 28 inch branch to try out the long handle "vec effect." I recalled the planetary alignment of the "Jupiter effect!" That didnt move me, but the "vec effect" sure did!
P1000433.jpg

Man, thats so nice. One of these days im gonna quit farting around and get me one of his quality setups.Thanks for the review.

Also, you probably think im crazy, but I, and I bet a few other members, envy that area you are in. Cold or no.
We just dont see landscape like that down here covered with snow. Im sure it gets tiresom when you live there, but it looks amazing!

Nice review and photos. Vec's work sounds great. Good cold weather test !!!

What does a hawk like that run?

I really like the handles but when I asked for a quote on rehandling a Vaughn mini with that sort of handle the estimate wound up being six times the price of the hatchet!

we have to factor the Unknown into our prices, brother hollowdweller, hence the price.

we also don't ship anything we aren't satisfied with - potentially, a simple job on an unknown variable can become a lot of unexpected work, which doesn't make the investor happy, or us.

we've never handled a Vaughn, to date.

sorry about that.

vec

Vec,

Beautiful work, Brother! Back from upstate NY's whiteout conditions. Will call you this week. I gotta get me one of these hawks of yours!

~B.

Thanks for all the comments.

Vector, I think I'm gonna need another one of these things sometime, I love it more and more every day. Maybe I can get some more pics up sometime.

Thanks for all the comments.

Vector, I think I'm gonna need another one of these things sometime, I love it more and more every day. Maybe I can get some more pics up sometime.

we are so glad that you like it, brother.

- you're showing advanced symptoms of hawk-O-philia, vectorize-itis type A - some folks think there is no cure - especially when they see what is coming ...hehehe...!

:thumbup:

the good news is that you are an investor now in the Hawk Project just by buying yourself a hawk-friend from us, ...so remember that you get a discount off of most of our asking prices in the future.

we don't want folks to just use their hawk, we want them to LOVE it.

we never want folks to forget that!

thanks again for your review.

we aim to please.

vec

I have one and another on order ....These are great hawks you can't go wrong.:thumbup:

Thanks again Vec
Rich

Back