Vegtable tanned leather

I have made some leather sheaths, however these weren't made from vegtable tanned leather and I think that's what most folks expect when they get a sheath and I think it probably makes a better sheath.
Since I need to make some out of vegtable tanned leather. I figured it would be wise to ask a few questions. I have learned it's better to buy in large quantity as long as you know what you are buying since my knowledge is not at the top of my game in vegtable tanned leather, I thought I would ask a few questions!

What is a good reputable dealer to buy vegtable tanned leather from?

When buying vegtable tanned leather for sheaths what weight do you recommend to buy?

What do you usally buy, belly, sides, or something else?

I appreciate any info you can share with me on this subject!

Thanks, the info is very helpful especially about the where to buy! I still could use a little more info as to the thickness to use. Both of those link were the same and there wasn't alot of discussion as to thickness!

Last edited:
When buying your leather look for shoulders or backs.Sides can be used but only the upper portion is good for sheaths.Stay away from bellies, way too stretchy to be much good.
As far as weights, this can vary from maker to maker, but generally 4-5 oz.for small folders, 7-8 oz for sheaths up to about 8", then 9-10 oz for bigger sheaths.Hope this helps.Dave:)

As my good old buddy, Swivelknife says, Wickett and Craig is my first choice and has been for about three years now. I will admit they are better if you are a volume user, but they are great for the smaller orders also. I buy strictly sides in skirting and have them split to whatever weight I want. I am currently using four of their colors (russet, chestnut, brown and black) and I buy split 7/8 and 2/3 mostly with an occasional 8/10 thrown into the mix. they split free of charge and generally there's enough good leather in the belly to handle welts and that kind of stuff so the waste is not bad at all. They do have shoulders and backs in things other than skirting.

Paul

Wickett and Craig sounds good but, hey I don't have the cash flow to buy 10 sides at a time. You said they split for free. Please explain exactly what you mean.
When I think of splitting leather I think of making it thinner, is that what you mean?
Next question what exactly do you use the the split leather for?
Edging and such, now if I could specify that I wanted several cuts 3/4" wide and split in thicknes for edging then we might be talking turkey!
Please feel free to enlighten me I might reconsider my opinion on buying there. Still not sur how I could afford to buy 10 sides at a time but the extras might entice me!

Dixie, W/C will sell one of anything they carry just as quickly as they sell 10 or 20 or more. Most of my orders are for four sides or less and that it because I use several of their colors. My annual usage this year will be the greatest it's ever been and I have taken delivery on 36 sides, but all the orders were for relatively small quantities. If you call, talk to Glen Proud at extension 222. He is great to work with.

All their skirting leather starts out at least 8/10 ounce. I use mostly 7/8 and 2/3 so I take advantage of their no charge splitting service to get down to the weights I use the most. They keep the split and I imagine sell it to partially defray their expense. Splits generally sell for a dollar or two a square foot, but since there is no top grain the uses are limited.

Paul

Dixie...I always buy just one side at a time from W&C, and I always ask for 8-10oz. I find it good for other projects I do besides knife sheaths.:thumbup:

I have made some leather sheaths, however these weren't made from vegtable tanned leather and I think that's what most folks expect when they get a sheath and I think it probably makes a better sheath.
Since I need to make some out of vegtable tanned leather. I figured it would be wise to ask a few questions. I have learned it's better to buy in large quantity as long as you know what you are buying since my knowledge is not at the top of my game in vegtable tanned leather, I thought I would ask a few questions!

What is a good reputable dealer to buy vegtable tanned leather from?

Buy Wickett and Craig

When buying vegtable tanned leather for sheaths what weight do you recommend to buy?

It will depend on the size of the knife. What kind and size of knives are you going to work with. For smaller knives 6-8 ounce will be good. For bigger knives like above six inch blades I go 8-10 ounce. Sheath makers will have differing opinions on this, but that is probably a good guide.

What do you usally buy, belly, sides, or something else?

I buy sides, double bends and double shoulders. The sides will have the bellies still attached. the other two cuts will not have them. Some parts of the bellies can be of use for other projects. I dont use them on any of my sheaths.

I appreciate any info you can share with me on this subject!

If you have any other questions feel free to fire away.

Wickett and Craig sounds good but, hey I don't have the cash flow to buy 10 sides at a time.

You can order one side at a time. If you get ten you will get a small discount. A side of leather will be between 22-25 sq feet.

You said they split for free. Please explain exactly what you mean.

They will split thicker leather to make it thinner. They do this for free

When I think of splitting leather I think of making it thinner, is that what you mean?

Yes that is what he means :D
Next question what exactly do you use the the split leather for?

It can be used for anything that unsplit leather is used for. It will just be thinner.

Edging and such, now if I could specify that I wanted several cuts 3/4" wide and split in thicknes for edging then we might be talking turkey!

I dont believe that they will cut you 3/4 inch strips. I have never asked for it though, maybe they will. I am not sure what you mean by edging and such

Please feel free to enlighten me I might reconsider my opinion on buying there. Still not sur how I could afford to buy 10 sides at a time but the extras might entice me!

If you have any other questions fire away. If you want to talk, send me a PM or e-mail and I will send my cell number to you. :D

Hope this helps. I know its a bit confusing at first.

Thanks for the info, cleared up some things I was sorta fuzzy about. I will more than likely order from them then. Maybe one day I can generate enough business to afford to order ten at a time. Right now I am just not building that many knives!
This is what I mean by edging,
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594687
This is a another thread on sheaths and such, the knife and sheath are displayed by, Hmathews!
The edge of the sheath is done with a cap strip or edging as I call it. That my not be proper term but that's what I always called it. Anyway I have made sheaths similarly and used an edging it has to be thined down enough to where it is easy to form and follow the edge of the sheath.

Back