1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Review Venev 1200 / 2000 1" x 6" Bonded Diamond Hone

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Blues, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    I know that Venev has changed up their hones recently, most specifically the 1200/2000 grit bonded diamond hone due to reported issues with the matrix (resin) as well as diamond loss, but I just wanted to take a moment to give my impressions of this hone from the original offerings.

For many years I've relied on my Spyderco ceramic hones, (Medium, Fine, Ultra Fine) in both bench stone and triangle rod format for touch-ups and light sharpenings...and for the most part they've worked well with the usual caveats.

But since I seem to collect as much sharpening gear as I do knives, it was only a matter of time until I ended up accumulating purchasing some bonded diamond hones to see how they compared to ceramics and other sharpening media.

To that end, I purchased a couple of Venev bench stones (in 100/240 and 400/800 combo grits) along with the small 1200 / 2000 in 1x6" format. (I haven't yet used the bench stones.)

Anyway, I've been using the 1200 / 2000 on a variety of knives over the past several months when the edge has degraded a bit from what I consider "sharp enough". (Usually a combination of how the edge slices phone book paper, shaves, etc. I don't drive myself insane with plucking the remaining hairs on my head in an effort to whittle them.)

I've found that using (mostly) the 1200 and (occasionally) the 2000 grit sides of the hone has proven excellent in restoring an edge that has just degraded somewhat, (to the point where it might skate on a fingernail or snag phone book paper), back to sharp in short order. This is accomplished with a relatively few strokes while keeping the hone wet under a tap after every few.

I know I'm done as soon as I can feel the edge aggressively grab hair on the back of my head, (with both edge bevels), and slice phone book paper cleanly along the entire length of the blade. I don't strive for perfection or any particular level of polish.

The edge it leaves is smooth with a nice bite...which is just how I like it.

Per the Gritomatic site, I initially dressed the hone with some loose alox grit, and have since kept it clean and ready for work with a medium rust eraser.

Thus far I've used the hone with a variety of steels like 3V, M2 and Maxamet among others. No issues with any of them. I have not used it with softer, gummier stainless such as on my wife's Victorinox paring or Boker kitchen utility knives. For those I still use a 1000 grit water stone, ceramic or an old worn diamond plate I've had for years.

I have found that using this fine grit Venev hone precludes the need for stropping, though I admittedly don't do a heck of a lot of stropping to begin with, but will occasionally hit my blades with 1 micron diamond paste (oil based) on basswood. So, YMMV in this regard.

This little hone has also in large measure taken over the role that my ceramic hones would normally play, though they still get use. The advantage is that the diamond hone will not have the limitation of the ceramics with high vanadium carbide or similarly challenging steels, and thus works more quickly while still leaving a fine edge.

I'm excited by the addition of bonded diamond hones into my sharpening arsenal, the most recent of which are Diemaker's (Edge Pro) Matrix hones. I've only used his 600 grit hone on a couple of the aforementioned blades to good result but hope to be able to share more about my experience with them, (as well as the Venev bench stones), down the road.

2. Beansandcarrots

Beansandcarrots KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 15, 2014
    I really like the idea of a high grit maintenance stone like that. Every use just give the blade a few strokes to keep sharpness maxed. Minimal metal removal with a little more juice than just stropping. There’s a role there for me for sure

Blues likes this.
  3. Timmyboy

Timmyboy

Oct 13, 2014
    Thanks for the review. After reading about the reported issues with the resin I would be interested to hear if you think you can get a sharper edge with the 2000 grit side of the hone compared to the 1200 side. e.g. If you sharpen a knife on the 1200 side and then move to the 2000 side is it noticeably sharper than when you finished on the 1200 side?

Thanks

Tim

4. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    What were the reported issues with the resin?

5. Timmyboy

Timmyboy

Oct 13, 2014
  6. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Tim, I haven't really tried to compare an edge finished off the two sides versus one another.

The reason is this. I generally don't go particularly high in grit when sharpening, although one might certainly consider the Spyderco fine and ultra fine ceramics to be somewhat in that range. (These days I mostly use the medium Spyderco ceramic when I use one.)

In any case, the way I've been using the hone is like this...

...When I feel the edge has degraded somewhat and could just use being refreshed, I'll use the 1200 grit side, (roughly equivalent to DMT XX, Shapton glass 4K - 5K, Matrix 1100), to restore it.

I've used the 2000 grit side much as I might use a strop. To remove remaining burr or perhaps smooth a small (remaining) imperfection on a blade that seems already sharp (by my admittedly not very high standards).

So, no, I haven't really compared the edges coming off one, and then the other, against one another.

I would imagine some of our members with more experience with the Venev hones might be able to chime in with an answer.

7. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    They don't manufacture a 300 grit stone? These high grits I don't care to work with. Then is there the malady of the diamonds falling out
    as the resin wears down? Are they still made in Russia? DM

8. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    David, this is an approximation of the equivalent grits:

Venev 100 - DMT XX

Venev 240 - DMT C

Venev 400 - DMT Fine+ (Somewhat finer than the DMT Fine, hence the +)

Venev 800 - DMT EF / MEF (Somewhere in the range between the DMT EF and MEF)

Venev 1200 - DMT EE

The foregoing is an estimation based upon information gleaned from a chart on the Gritomatic website.

Bear in mind, that the Venev hone will be less aggressive due to less protrusion of the diamond through the substrate / matrix. So, imho, the 240 grit in either the bench stone or 1" x 6" might be your best bet.

As far as I know, they are still made in Russia. I don't think the issue with diamond falling out of the matrix, on the coarser hones at least, is a problem as long as they are dressed properly as needed. Others will have more info based upon their experience.

9. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded

Jun 4, 2010
    How are they for loading?

10. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Someone else will have to chime in for that. I've only used the 1200 / 2000 so far and I use them standing next to a shop sink and run it under the tap after every few strokes since I'm holding the hone in my left hand while I sharpen.

I've seen some pencil track buildup in the past when I used it for longer periods before rinsing, but it cleans right up with a rust eraser.

11. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    @Blues , ok, I see, thanks. I'll look on Gritomatic's web-site. Are their bench-stones 1/2" thick? DM

12. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    You're welcome, David. Most of the 3/8" thickness of the bench stones is the aluminum base that the diamond impregnated resin is applied to. Each of the bench stones is double sided, and each sharpening surface is about 1mm or a bit over.

Here's the link where you can get more specific info. You can also PM Konstantin for questions above my pay grade.

13. brando555

brando555

Sep 26, 2018
    They're not too bad, I've only used the 1x6" size with my EP so far, so I probably don't use as much water as I'd like but they will glaze over eventually similar to the alum oxide EP stones. Probably every other sharpening session I'll lap them with loose grit 240 alum oxide on a glass plate and they're like new again. Even a 3m scuff pad and some running water gets them working good again if I don't want to spend the time.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Blues likes this.
  14. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    From Gritomatic site, it looks like most stones are made for the Edge Pro kit. Except the CBN stone, 2.75"X 8"-- a bench stone. It looks like it would make a good bench stone but it's only 3mm thick. Plus, it's pricey. How long would this stone material last? DM

15. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    David, see the link I provided in the post above and check the FAQ on that page. It gives a lot of info...and the Venev bonded diamond bench stone is 3.25" x 8" x 3/8"

16. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok, I looked at it. Thank you. Those are only 1 mm thick but a great size stone and two grit. So, likely worth the 100$. Will they last &
    offer good economy? I like it except the thickness. The comments rave about them but they were also after a very fine finish... o_O DM

17. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    The FAQ says they last longer than plated diamond hones but I don't have the experience with them to evaluate the claim.

David, aka Diemaker, has often mentioned to me that his Matrix Diamond hones (Edge Pro) will last my lifetime and be around for whoever inherits them. I don't take his word or his recommendations lightly.

FWIW, I believe David is working on bench hones with his Diamond Matrix formula.
    Something to consider.