Vert forge: stainless bars holding up the work ?

Mark Williams

I've been thinking about making the vertical forge for flux reasons. I've seen guys using stainless bars for a grate to set their billets on and thought that would be a good setup for forge welding hawk heads. How do the bars work for users of this design?

Thankee vury muck

We need a report from Laredo... he just did this recently.

I use a vertical forge. It's made from an old cut off O2 tank that I got for picking it up. I cut holes in both sides about 2 X 4" with a lip extending out from each side. I was having trouble loseing a knife in the bottom of the forge. I even made a pair of tongs just to retrive them from the bottom without having to shut the forge down completely. I use some scrap peices of 316C across the holes and haven't lost one since.
Learning something every day,
Lynn

Seems ok so far, but you have to understand that I am a serious flux abuser. I like to see it dripng off the billet. But my SS bars were 3/8 to start and after about 30 hours at welding heat they have gotten smaller in diameter. Maybe by about 15%. It is noticable, but not extreme.

I bought the rod from a scrap yard so i have no idea what alloy of SS they are, but at a buck a foot I can't complain. I think they work well, but the flux runs horizontal along the rods and hits the Koawool insulation. And we all know what happens then.

In retrospect, i would have built a free-standing grid out of low carbon and have it sit on the forge floor. That way all of my flux abuse would be contained to the "grating stand" and bed of kitty litter. Plus be easy and cheap to replace.

If you have a cheap source of SS rod, go for it and try to be sparing on the flux, plus try to bow the rods downward to attempt to keep the flux from creeping into your insulation.

All I know is that going vertical was the best thing I have done in a while.

All the vertical forgers around here just weld a handle on everything and let it suspend in mid air. No tongs needed.

my vertical propane-tank forge has the opening of 3x3" square stock, sticking two inches in-and-out. when I want a shelf, I clamp a long piece of 2-1/2" mild onto it, and, like Bruce says, weld a handle on the billet. that shelf works excellent, and comes out. only time I use tongs is to hold the blade to forge in the tang.

Thanks Guys:) ,

I'm going to try it. I'll take your advice Sean and put a bow in them. I would imagine the way the flux dances around like crazy fleas, that it will probably work up the rods anyway. I've got a bunch of ceramic standoffs that might fit over the rods to hopefully act as a dam.

I know what is going to happen. I'll start mesing around with that damascus stuff and Deb will divorce me.:D

Originally posted by Bruce Bump
All the vertical forgers around here just weld a handle on everything and let it suspend in mid air. No tongs needed.

This was going to be my advice also, Bruce. Fact is, I do this pretty much whenever I can anyway.

I mainly wanted to do tomahawk heads in the new forge, I dont see why I couldn't weld on a rod. I'll try that and see how it goes.

Thanks

Originally posted by Laredo7mm
...but you have to understand that I am a serious flux abuser. I like to see it dripng off the billet...

Sean!!! You're the person I'm looking for!!! :D :D I have a bubble alumina based refractory I'm planning to test before I start selling it...the stuff's not cheap and I want to make sure it's all it's reported to be before I put it on my web page, anyway, can I send you some to coat the obvious "flux problem areas" of your forge with and get you to report back to me about how well you find it to be flux resistant? I'm talking free of course, I'd just appreciate your honest evaluation of it in a month or so...if you'd be willing to be a tester, send me an email off list so I can get your mailing info.

I've probably got enough for a total of 5 people to test this stuff, if there are any other "flux abusers" out there who'd be willing to test this material for me, drop me a line off list! :) I've only got enough for 5 people to test, so it's first come first served...

BTW, this isn't some material that will be a potential problem for your forge, I heard about it from a master smith who uses it, I just want to get a good cross section of experience and feedback before I start offering it as it's pretty expensive stuff (relatively speaking). The gentleman who told me about it uses it to coat the floor and several inches around the openings of his vertical forge and says it is the most flux impervious refractory he's used.

:)

-Darren

Originally posted by XRAYED
Darren...I'd like to give it a go in my vertical forge. Shoot me an email if you don't have my address: gcovington@woh.rr.com

Greg

Excellent, thanks Greg! I've got your address.

Any other takers? I've got enough for two more people...I never imagined it'd be so hard to give away refractory! :D :D

-Darren

Back