Very disappointed in cold steel secure ex sheath!

Just got my cold steel Natchez bowie O1 and spent the past few days reprofiling the edge to 20 deg and honed it to shaving sharpness. Today I decided to do something stupid: test the sheath. Slid it in and out a few times. Now the sharpness is gone! I can even see multiple big glints on the edge against the light which was completely clean before! Sheaths are not supposed to blunt the knife. Cold steel are you listening? How about solving these quality issues with your current products before introducing hundreds of new products on the market.

Both Cold Steel and KaBar use glass reinforced nylon. And as we all know, glass is harder than Steel, and will blunt it. My Cold Steel knives (save the Steel Tiger) never see the inside of their Securex sheaths.

I just bought a Natchez Bowie and noticed how bad it rattles in the sheath. It is obnoxious.

yep the glass in it. gives it massive strength but....... glass is a super destroyer of edges. anyone who doubts this go and cut a sheet of ductboard and watch that hair shaving edge get wiped out in about a handful of cuts.

Even plain Kydex has a rating of 90 on the Rockwell R Scale. Lucky for me leather works great in my situations. I prefer leather for my blued firearms too.

I returned the TM I got for xmas because the sheath scratched it badly. The new one doesnt scratch the blade but it slightly dulls it when I drag it out along the spine.
It doesnt hit the blade the whole length but in a couple spots. I could get by with it but i guess ill spend the extra dough for a kydex sheath.

I returned the TM I got for xmas because the sheath scratched it badly. The new one doesnt scratch the blade but it slightly dulls it when I drag it out along the spine.
It doesnt hit the blade the whole length but in a couple spots. I could get by with it but i guess ill spend the extra dough for a kydex sheath.
This is what my Trailmaster wears (the one on the left)

2efe4f4507f339e9574e0d97420ce7b6.jpg

The thing you need to remember is that regardless of sheath material, it's a bad idea (for different reasons for different materials) to drag the edge of your blade on any sheath as you draw. Put slight pressure on the spine and it should be alright. If you screw up once in a while because you're human, a quick swipe on a honing rod or strop will fix it in no time.

The thing you need to remember is that regardless of sheath material, it's a bad idea (for different reasons for different materials) to drag the edge of your blade on any sheath as you draw. Put slight pressure on the spine and it should be alright. If you screw up once in a while because you're human, a quick swipe on a honing rod or strop will fix it in no time.

I pull mine out along the spine. Some of the blade makes some contact but for the most part it doesnt.

I have noticed this with my master hunter and pendleton as well. I'm not happy about it but I have read that after a certain point and after there is a break in period that it eventually stops. Can anyone confirm that has had the secure ex sheath for awhile?

I'm sorry to hear this.
I raised this with one of the customer services representatives and he said we hadn't had any comments, phone calls or feedback regarding this issue.
I think it's important to find out more.
Please do post your feedback and concerns here, I will make sure this reaches R&D and that the matter will be investigated.
Much appreciated

I'd love to see all CS fixed blades come with cordura sheaths. Ideally, they'd be the nicer ones like what comes with the SMIII TM (pic below), but I'd be fine even if they were the cheaper style sheaths like they use on the machetes.

cold-steel-16jsm-san-mai-iii-trail-master-sheath-large.jpg

Its a shame, they look great and extremely functional, but blunting the blade is deal breaker. I hate the feel of cordura, leather withholds moisture, and kydex is almost like buying a second knife in most cases.

There is but one option -- Open carry:
[video=youtube;Mur-c5IiWJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mur-c5IiWJI[/video]

I'm sorry to hear this.
I raised this with one of the customer services representatives and he said we hadn't had any comments, phone calls or feedback regarding this issue.
I think it's important to find out more.
Please do post your feedback and concerns here, I will make sure this reaches R&D and that the matter will be investigated.
Much appreciated

Its good to know Cold steel representative is on the forum. The knife model I got recently is 39LABS Natchez Bowie O-1 faux cocobolo. I have tested the sheath just once before shortly after I unbox then put it away. Straight away i notice the knife wasn't very sharp when new but I did not suspect the sheath. I won't shave and won't cut paper cleanly. Instead of returning it, I honed the knife on a lansky (very difficult to do on such a big knife) carefully over the past week to the point it would push cut newsprint and pop fine arm hairs. last night I tested the sheath again as I decided to carry the knife out with me. Sheath and unsheath several times to test the locking and deployment. Right after I notice the sharpness was gone. It would tear newsprint when slicing. The edge visibly dulled in several places when viewed against the light. The only good news is it did not scratch the side of the blade like on some other feedback here. So the question is what material is secure ex exactly? Does it have abrasive fillings? Did cold steel design it in a away so that the entire edge do not contact the inside when fully sheath and click in place? I am aware that the user can exercise caution and push against the spine when unsheathing but this isn't always practical in emergency situations or can be overlooked.

I'd love to see all CS fixed blades come with cordura sheaths. Ideally, they'd be the nicer ones like what comes with the SMIII TM (pic below), but I'd be fine even if they were the cheaper style sheaths like they use on the machetes.

cold-steel-16jsm-san-mai-iii-trail-master-sheath-large.jpg

Im with ya. I personally love Cold Steels old cordura sheath. I have them for the Trail Master, Recon Scout, Master Hunter, Recon Tanto and SRK from years past.

Back