Very weak anodization on Sebenza handle

With all of this hoopla about continuous improvement, precision milling, hand fitting, hand ground, etc., now I have to carry a bottle of Windex along with some oil to preserve the anodized handle on my decorated Sebenza? The hood ornament on my dad's Cadilac still looks good after 18 years of soap and water, albeit some scratches from road debris.

Have you had problem with the anodizing rubbing off without using windex? I have never used anything but rubbing it off on my shirt and have NEVER had any problems. I think the anodizing is fine! Are you going by hear-say, or do you actually own a decorated Sebenza?

The Windex is for cleaning, not preserving, and as posted by Anne oil is a no-no on anodizing. Don't carry it with you, just use it when cleaning.
Perhaps you can epoxy the hood ornament to the handle of your Sebenza.
smile.gif

I think you must have misunderstood the windex thing, VietNam. The color on the decorated Sebenzas is nothing more than light. When the handle face is anodized, an electrical current is passed through it and, according to the voltage, so the surface molecules are re-arranged to reflect back only one part of the light spectrum. Any substance that covers the anodized color will distort the passage of light and so that is why the colors seem to fade. Windex (which is the least obnoxious degreaser and the most readily available) will remove any oily film that may be there and return the color to its former brilliance.

Hope this helps you understand the process!

Anne

The anodizing on the tip of my thumbstud has disappeared and is now silver. i tried the Windex thing, but it is still silver. Any other suggestions?

You are right, the same thing has happened to my thumb stud! But that means I now have a multi-colored thumb stud! That's even harder to do and so now my knife will be even more valuable!

I now have plain large and small sebenzas with two-tone thumb studs! I'll let them go for $550 each, not a penny less!

Windex can only help as long as the original anodizing is still in place. Once the thin layer of rearranged molecules is worn off, the titanium will be silver colored again. If this is the case, only re-anodizing (if possible) would help. In case of a thumb stud I would say leave it as it is. It adds character
wink.gif

my stubs have rubbed silver too
frown.gif
my two sebbies are about three and four weeks old....bummer as i do like the splash of color the stud and spacer provide when "new"
....rob

As I mentioned in my post of 10/29/99, the color that you see on the titanium is nothing other than reflected light. With wear, that "re-arrangement of surface molecules" will be smoothed and the color will go away.

Anne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Reeve Knives:
As I mentioned in my post of 10/29/99, the color that you see on the titanium is nothing other than reflected light. With wear, that "re-arrangement of surface molecules" will be smoothed and the color will go away.

Anne
</font>

With all due respect, I'm an idiot.

[This message has been edited by Cut-Up (edited 04-13-2001).]

Cut-up; I believe a careful reading of Anne's post will reveal that she was referring only to her first sentence as being part of the first post ("As I mentioned in my post of 10/29/99, the color that you see on the titanium is nothing other than reflected light.")

She then goes on to explain that wearing of the anodized surface will cause the color to disappear. This is new information, not a reiteration of her previous post.

Anne is held with great respect, nay reverence, among Sebenzanistas. It is well that you said 'with all due respect.' She is due a great deal.

Walt

I just checked, and I'm still an idiot. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by Cut-Up (edited 04-13-2001).]

Anne knows whats she is talking about so everybody quit your bitchin and moanin i mean sereously act your age

------------------
after they take our guns away they're comin after our knives

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by project2lover:
Anne knows whats she is talking about so everybody quit your bitchin and moanin i mean sereously act your age

</font>

Look who's talking.

Gets ugly right quick at the moment...

CALM DOWN!!!!
wink.gif

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back