Veterans Day

Today is reserved for those who have served and those who currently serve this great nation. So many have given their lives. Many will follow that same fate. Multitudes will serve and survive. They are a very special group.

While their contributions are invaluable, they are not the only ones who fight the battles and wear the scars.

Behind the scenes, often in the shadows and typically unrecognized, rests another very special group. They are the spouses, the children, the boyfriends, the girlfriends, the parents, the grandparents, the brothers, the sisters, the aunts, the uncles, the cousins, the nieces, the nephews, friends and those that support of our forces.

Without this very special support group, it would be close to impossible for our veterans to perform at the levels that they do. Simply, they are there when times are easy and they sacrifice when times are tough. They give so many the will and the desire to push on when the struggles seem insurmountable.

This is also their day. As a veteran, I am honored to be able to stand next to these warriors. I am elated to have had them in my corner.

I am as proud of them. . . .as I am my comrades.

I tip my glass.

As do I, not just today but each day we need to keep in mind the sacrifices that have been made by our veterans as well as those serving now.

Thank you to all servering and who have served.

Indeed, great thread GigOne. A big thank you to all of our veterans, servicemembers, and especially those who didn't come home. We owe everything we have in this country to you.

Thank you to all of the veterans who have fought for freedom, to those who came back, and to those who did not. I hope that the meaning of this holiday reaches everybody and does not get lost.

As a veteran myself I just want to say thank you and God Bless to all our men and women in the service who put their life on the line everyday so we can enjoy the freedom we have in this great country.
Larry
remember.jpg

When I was a kid, Veteran's day was a big deal, with a large parade featuring veterans from even WWI (who were still able to get into their uniforms...), speeches, ceremonies, and so forth.

Now we seem to have a brief generic ceremony at the local Jefferson Barracks national cemetary, and that's about it. Kind of sad.

My dad served in the Pacific, and I was old enough to worry that he might have to go to Korea.

I seem to have lost the well-worn Poppy I wore in my buttonhole every 11/11 for a few years now.
Need to replace it. Any ideas?

mwerner said:
When I was a kid, Veteran's day was a big deal, with a large parade featuring veterans from even WWI (who were still able to get into their uniforms...), speeches, ceremonies, and so forth.

Now we seem to have a brief generic ceremony at the local Jefferson Barracks national cemetary, and that's about it. Kind of sad.
For us here in Oz we have ANZAC day where we remember those who have fought and died. There is a parade in every major city and ceremonies of one kind or another in just about every town. An encouraging sign is that, every year, the crowds get bigger at the major parades, especially Sydney, Mebourne and Canberra. They are even televised and every armed forces unit that goes by receives a commentary. The dawn services at the National War Memorial and, of course, Anzac Cove at Gallipoli attract huge crowds.

It's a shame that the same is not happening at your ceremonies.

Thanks to all my fellow brothers and sisters for thier military service(past and present) . Thank you Gig for this thread.

Back