1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Victorinox Alox Electrician question

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by hsherzfeld, Aug 8, 2019.

1. hsherzfeld

hsherzfeld Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2016
    I’m considering getting a Victorinox Alox Electrician to alternate with my Pioneer for everyday carry, but I’m unsure about a few things.

First, I keep a lanyard attached to my Pioneer, and carry it with the lanyard handing out of my jeans pocket so I can simply pull the knife out by the lanyard. The Electrician doesn’t appear to have a key ring, so how do y’all carry your Electricians? Just bottom-of-the-pocket?

The Electrician’s main appeal to me (over the Pioneer) is the sheepsfoot “electrician” blade that it has instead of the can opener. It looks like a nice, beefy secondary blade. What I can’t tell from the images on Amazon, however, is whether the sheepsfoot blade has an edge bevel on both sides, or (as I suspect) just on the nail nick side. Can anyone tell me whether that is the case?

2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    @hsherzfeld The small blade is beveled on both sides as you suspected. I like the Electrician precisely because it doesn't have the key ring. The key ring rips or wears pockets out unless you do as you do and carry perhaps vertically. It is a handy knife with two blades. I don't carry mine often, but it goes in the bottom of the pocket generally.

hsherzfeld likes this.
  3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    The Electrician is a tad too large for most watch pockets although that would be a reasonable carry approach if possible. Being larger, you could angle it into a watch pocket but I think you're more apt to loose it that way. As you know, it is the same size as the Tinker which is a knife I really like which has two blades as well.

Getting older likes this.
  4. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    I have 2 Pioneers, one with and one without the key ring. The one without gets used 3 times more. Rides in the bottom of my pocket.

5. hsherzfeld

hsherzfeld Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Yes, I've tried carrying Tinkers and Pioneers in jeans watch pockets, and it just didn't work. Since the temperature in Houston is averaging in the mid to high 90's, I've been wearing cargo shorts that have the bonus of a deeper watch pocket that is the perfect size for carrying either of the knives mentioned above. Unfortunately, the opening of the pocket is vertical (as opposed to the horizontal opening on jeans watch pockets), meaning that when I sit down or drive in my car, the knife slowly slides out of the pocket. I've started looping the lanyard of the knife over my belt so that the knife is still attached to me even if it falls out of the pocket.

With the Electrician (which I've just ordered), I guess I'll cary it in the main pocket.

6. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Just picked one up myself. Photos of the blade in question. Also a shot with my black Pioneer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I carry my Electrician in the glove box of my car :)

I also love the secondary sheepsfoot blade. It's a great knife but for some reason I dislike carrying it in the pocket, so it replaced an old stockman as my in-vehicle option.

8. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    My electrician is a lfp constant companion,in its homemade slip.that way it does not slide out any where.Plus in a slip it stays noticeably cleaner

Storm 8593 likes this.
  9. mg357

mg357

May 31, 2012
    I carry my Electrician Swiss army knife along side my pioneer in a smartphone cellphone holster. Attached to my wheelchair seatbelt.

Pomsbz, Getting older and jmh33 like this.
  10. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    Electrician with a clip:
    [​IMG]
    rides like this, same as any aloxSAK with a clip ;) :
    [​IMG]