Victorinox and EMTs, LEOs, and survival?

Hello there,

I was curious to find out whether-or-not Victorinox has ever made, or still makes, an SAK that is more likely geared towards EMTs or LEOs.

I must admit that I am not all that knowledgeable when it comes to "rescue" only orientated knives, hence this question of mine.

I own several Victorinox SAKs (i.e., "Handyman," "Swiss Champ," "Soldier," Spartan,' "Classic," etc., etc.), yet none of which have serrated blades!

Michael Cedric

------------------

[This message has been edited by MCSwiney (edited 25 June 1999).]

I have never seen a SAK with serrated blades, a seatbelt hook, or any of these features paired with a locking mechanism, which says to me that they probably don't exist. While it may be inconvenient to carry a second knife for some people, I don't think the quality of the Spyderco Rescue and Resuce Jr. or Cold Steels rescue knives can be denied. Stout, sharp, good locks, and sheepsfoot blades. What more could you ask for?

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

Chiro75,

Well, for starters, thank you very much for your reply.

I have, since I posted this inquiry last night, already received an e-mail from other forum members reminding me of the "Matterhorn" ("Gee, Michael, where was your mind?") and the new "Skipper" model (both of which have a serrated main blade).

I do, however, thank you for sharing some of the criteria for a "rescue" only orientated knife with me.
smile.gif

Additionally, I shall be sure to look into the knife models/brands you had suggestted.

Ciao,

Michael Cedric

------------------

[This message has been edited by MCSwiney (edited 25 June 1999).]

Actually, Victorinox does have one called the Fireman which has a locking serrated blade and a serrated belt cutter, as well as a saw and a few other tools. You can see it here:

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/sakpix2.htm

or here:

http://www.swissarmy.com/knives/k_lblade.htm

There is also a model called the Parachutist that is very similar.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by CD Fleischer (edited 25 June 1999).]

[This message has been edited by CD Fleischer (edited 25 June 1999).]

Hello CD Fleischer,

Well, thank you also greatly for your contribution.
smile.gif

I, needless to say, also goofed on the "Fireman," yet another model I overlooked.
frown.gif

I also thank you for the hyperlinks.

I found www.knifeoutlet.com to have rather low prices, even though I did not know of their existance prior to, hence I shall be sure (at the very least) to order another "Money Clip" model Victorinox from them.
smile.gif

Wishing you a kind and gentle day,

Michael Cedric

------------------

Although it's not a "SAK", strictly speaking, the Victorinox SwissTool definitely has a serrated blade.

David Rock

Clay Fleischer - Thank you for suggesting the Victorinox "Fireman" model.
smile.gif
It too appears like a very likely next buy candidate.

Do you, by chance, own this model yourself?

The reason I'm asking is that I couldn't tell, based upon the image/description at www.SwissArmyBrands.com, whether-or-not the main blade was also serrated (plus the Victorinox Co.'s web page does not even list it).

If so, then what kind of torque is there to the belt cutter for instance?

David Rock - Thank you for having suggested the "SwissTool."

I have, for some time now, been contemplating buying this nifty gadget, along w/various other Victorinox models, yet have been postponing doing so as I'm not the "handy" type at all ("Useless as a tit on a boar!" - direct quote from an ex-girlfriend). LOL

Whats more...

Someone or another, on the BF, has stated that the finish (along the edges) of the "SwissTool" was prone to chipping!
frown.gif

If you own a "SwissTool" yourself then can you comment on this?

To one and all...

The very reason for this post of mine in the first place, aside from a shameless excuse to expand on my Victorinox collection (for which I don't really need a excuse to begin with), is due to my desire to have a more "rescue"orientated knife on me/in my glove compartment (that would not, however, freak out LEO) should a need for such ever arise.

I just narrowly survived a traumatic, and foolish, incident in San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico (southern most tip of the Baja, California penninsula) last summer.

This "incident' took place in the Sea of Cortez, and as such was not automobile accident related, yet it opend up my eyes as to the need to be prepared nonetheless.

Wishing you a kind and gentle day,

Michael Cedric

------------------

In answer to your question regarding the SwissTool...

Yes, I do own one, for more than a year now, and I carry it with me everywhere I go, including to church on Sundays. I have had no problems with it: no rust, no chipping. It's strong and very reliable. If you want to be prepared, you should definitely consider a pliers-based multi-tool. If you haven't already done so, check out the multi-tool reviews at www.equipped.com

David Rock

[This message has been edited by David Rock (edited 27 June 1999).]

David Rock - Thank you for your review of the Victorinox "SwissTool!"
smile.gif

I have, truth be told, followed some of the threads on BF regarding the Leatherman Wave VS. the Victorinox "SwissTool."

It was interesting to note that the difference of a mere few grams in weight caused many on the Forums to opt for the Wave.

One would think, where a multitool is concerned, that a few additional grams would not be that big of a deal (given the "SwissTool's" locking ability).

I was also glad to hear that you did not second the other forum member's review (i.e., chipping of the handles).

So, you even carry it to church, huh? Must come in handy when your congregation's clergyman should fall from the pulpit! LOL (j/k)

Take care,

Michael Cedric

------------------

[This message has been edited by MCSwiney (edited 27 June 1999).]

Michael, regarding your original question, for rescue orientated use I strongly suggest the Victorinox Swisstool RS (for Rescue and Survival). It has a locking seat-belt cutter and scissors. You can find it for $50.00 at Toptexknives:
http://www.toptexknives.com/victorinox.htm
They have excellent service too.
Maybe this is a little bit heavy tool, but definitely very strong and effective. It is less intimidating to sheeple than a single bladed serrated folder or fixed blade the type of Bearclaw would be. Handle one before making decision to purchase. I think you will be not disappointed, but people have different preferences.

I am also a big Victorinox fan.
The serrations that are available on some Victorinox SAK blades as well as the original Swisstool are very functional and are smoothe.
I own a Wenger that is semi-serrated and the serrations in this one are more aggressive and rough.

I would imagine for rescue work either the Swisstool or, if you prefer a SAK, perhaps one of the larger locking blade models, such as the Victorinox Trailmaster (liner-locking main blade and screwdriver/bottle opener), also has a good wood saw.
Jim

Back